Your planning threads

Road trip meets party August / September 2018

21 to 40 of 94 posts

Bridezilla

So I tried on MY dress the other Saturday - took my mum, sister and brother along (because honestly, it seemed mean leaving him out of it!) they all loved it which is good. I also had weird panicking moments thinking I'd hate a dress that I had tried on, twice, in a completely different colour. I didn't take any photos - but the duck egg blue looks incredible! And - the dress twirls amazingly well. 

I'm starting to think about shoes. I don't wear shoes so regardless, I don't think it would be right for me to learn how to walk in heels for the sake of my wedding. It may be frown up on but I don't really care for tradition. I'm hoping to go with converse, at least for the states anyhows!

At the moment - I'm thinking just some standard, customised ones, off-white with a hint of blue:

But I'm not sure - I've started Googling what other brides wear with short dresses and I'm not questioning my own sanity! 

Bridezilla

Been fairly quiet on the planning front because of a couple of major things happening in life. i had a minor car crash, lost my job as a result and needed to find another job sharpish. All good now.

We have finally booked the officiant, sent off the deposit and have a Skype call penciled in for May. We've also found a slot canyon which seems quieter than Antelope Canyon. We're just waiting for our photographer to confirm she's happy with the lighting. 

Also decided to have a sunrise ceremony - that means it'll be more expensive but we won't be as hot. Plus, Lake Powell looks good at sunrise. So we've decided on the 3 locations, timing, officiant and the photographer.

It also means we can avoid the desert heat in the afternoon and explore some shaded slot canyons.

All thats required now is:

- The groom to decide what he is wearing
- Shoes
- Hair and make-up

I am not a girly girl so shoes and hair and make-up will likely require help!

Bridezilla

We've finally sorted the officiant out and she has now asked for vows to be sent across by 20 May to allow for any tweaks, I think Mr. Groom is having his first "Oh crap moment". The reason behind having our own vows is so we can say things to each other that isn't too soppy. 

Weirdly - I don't believe in soul mates or 'the one', neither of us are romantic so why make the vows about those things that we don't stand for? Equally, Mr. Groom isn't the best with words, great at a jokey insult, but anything serious it isn't quite for him. 

So, I'm thinking to take the stress away from having to write the vows separately - why not write them together? 

We want a personalised, short ceremony. Obviously the vows won't be long. But we've had people tell us that they need to be serious, and they should make us cry. Blah blah blah. Neither of those things will happen! And, since it is just me, him, photographer, witness and officiant - why don't we just do what we feel happy with?

So, I think writing them together would make more sense. It's a joint effort. We can write similar vows with our own input into them. It means we won't get any surprises, we will be able to share why we are both getting married, combined our values etc.  I can't see us failing out over the vows, because we will likely go for funny / sweet to the point anyway. 

It also isn't like anything else about the day ticks boxes - we're a team, we've always been in everything 50/50. No one person has more control then the other, it's about communication and us as a team. With both willing to tell the other when they are being a bit of a idiot. Mr. Groom has suggested a mash up of lyrics from favourite songs, with some serious elements. I like that. It may / may not work but worth a look.

Then all we have to do is pick the vows to say when putting on the ring.

We've also asked a couple of people who, if we were having a wedding here, would be in the 'bridal party'. Whilst they will not be wearing bridesmaid dresses, we may sort them out with something which makes them bridesmaids. Mr.Groom has asked his two best friends to be 'non-best men' they'll be wearing similar outfits at the party and both have been nagging about doing a speech. I've soften a lot. Originally I didn't want speech or a first dance, I wanted to have more control over the music / entertainment. But I have realised that the reason we are having a party isn't for us. It's for our friends and family. We want them to have an awesome night, that means we will have speeches, short, sweet, on the stage before things kick-off with cake cutting and a first dance. 

So, any suggestions on how to honour non-bridesmaids would be great! 

Bridezilla

Invites  / save the dates

Luckily I work in Marketing and Graphic Design which made sorting out the invites easy, cheap and way under budget. We wanted to make sure people knew that they are important to us and that the wedding party is a proper 'reception'. We sent out Save the Dates quite early on, because September is quite a busy holiday time. 

We opted to stick with the desert theme, we will have cacti around the place to tie in the ceremony (mainly for us really) these were printed onto some A3 sketch paper and became a7. We had the sketch paper lying around already - so it cost nothing put time. We handed them out to people.

The invites - again, we had the paper lying around and opted for A5 so that was free, card for the RSVP and song request stamp - had already, information was printed on the same sketch paper from above. We cut them out with a scalpel. The ribbon was on offer at the range, end of the line - we got 7 2m rolls for £5. Got the envelopes for £1 from The Range too. Most expensive part was the £10 on second class stamps to those who we couldn't hand deliver to! Total cost - £16. 

Bridezilla

Your plans all sound lovely and good for you for sticking to what you really want from the wedding. Look forward to reading more.

Bridezilla

Thanks VegasLou and MrsS85. I need to buy some converse sooner rather than later, I'm thinking I'm going to get a couple of pairs and see which works with the dress better and return the others! 

I think I've ruled out the custom Converse, but I do like the Ombre converse, no idea if they'll go with my dress though! So I'm thinking if I get a couple of pairs, I can see what I prefer. I'll likely take pictures to get a better idea.

Bridezilla

Love the invites!!

On honouring non-bridesmaids - I'm not having any either (OH is having 2 best men!), but we've got a few people involved in the ceremony who would have been bridesmaids/ushers if we'd done that. So we're thinking of getting them little amber brooches/pins to wear on lapels or dresses, which ties into my Polish heritage but also makes them all part of the bridal gang.  No one else will notice probably but we'll know...

Depending on how your UK party will pan out, maybe you could have a couple of short words from friends/toasts that the non-bridesmaids/best men do? Makes it clear at the party that they are special.

Bridezilla

Desert-bride wrote (see post):

Been fairly quiet on the planning front because of a couple of major things happening in life. i had a minor car crash, lost my job as a result and needed to find another job sharpish. All good now.

We have finally booked the officiant, sent off the deposit and have a Skype call penciled in for May. We've also found a slot canyon which seems quieter than Antelope Canyon. We're just waiting for our photographer to confirm she's happy with the lighting. 

Also decided to have a sunrise ceremony - that means it'll be more expensive but we won't be as hot. Plus, Lake Powell looks good at sunrise. So we've decided on the 3 locations, timing, officiant and the photographer.

It also means we can avoid the desert heat in the afternoon and explore some shaded slot canyons.

All thats required now is:

- The groom to decide what he is wearing
- Shoes
- Hair and make-up

I am not a girly girl so shoes and hair and make-up will likely require help!

Ah this sounds fab. We went to Arizona and stayed in Page last year, just so you know Lake Powell is very very busy regardless of what time you go, and particularly for the gorgeous light. There's lots of other less famous formations around which may be quieter- might be worth talking to the officiant?

Is the slot canyon on Navajo land because you need a permit like Antelope canyons too. We went to some in Escalante (Utah) and they were so incredible!

I'm getting jealous thinking of your ceremony! Glad that you're okay after your accident and been able to find another job.

Bridezilla

Elz2017 wrote (see post):

Love the invites!!

On honouring non-bridesmaids - I'm not having any either (OH is having 2 best men!), but we've got a few people involved in the ceremony who would have been bridesmaids/ushers if we'd done that. So we're thinking of getting them little amber brooches/pins to wear on lapels or dresses, which ties into my Polish heritage but also makes them all part of the bridal gang.  No one else will notice probably but we'll know...

Depending on how your UK party will pan out, maybe you could have a couple of short words from friends/toasts that the non-bridesmaids/best men do? Makes it clear at the party that they are special.

Good idea! Grooms two "best men" what to give a speech, so we're intending on saying a couple of words to thank people for taking the time to come so we will likely thank key people then. 

Bridezilla

Sian91 wrote (see post):

Ah this sounds fab. We went to Arizona and stayed in Page last year, just so you know Lake Powell is very very busy regardless of what time you go, and particularly for the gorgeous light. There's lots of other less famous formations around which may be quieter- might be worth talking to the officiant?

Is the slot canyon on Navajo land because you need a permit like Antelope canyons too. We went to some in Escalante (Utah) and they were so incredible!

I'm getting jealous thinking of your ceremony! Glad that you're okay after your accident and been able to find another job.

Hello - yes, permits will be sorted for the slot canyons, as I understand, they're all Navajo owned. I think we're aware that it'll be busy but not Horseshoe Bend busy, we were toying with the idea of renting a boat so we'd drive that to more of a secluded area but didn't think it was worth the cost with everything else we want to do! Glad to here you had a good time though :)

Bridezilla

Vow writing continues (or not)

I know - it should be easy to write vows, that they are just promises and if I'm not liking them why not just use what's in front of us?! I think what's proving difficult is writing them together, who knows vows were funny despite not meaning to be?

We don't do romance or soppiness, that rules out A LOT of vows! I'm sure it'll come to us or we may end up with pirate vows at this rate!

Bridezilla

Grooms wear

This is proving to be more difficult then first thought. Taking into account the desert and a party in September in the UK is proving stressful for groom-to-be. (I feel weird saying H2B despite it being easier to type!)

So far we have looked at linen suit, short suit, chinos and shirt but he seems to be settled on chinos, shirt, waistcoat. Like this:

The problem comes when he involves his two best-men. He wants matching outfits for the party, which is fine. We'd get the waistcoat and tie and hopefully, they'll have the chinos and a white shirt. But they think he should wear a suit because it'll be more formal, whereas nothing about this wedding is formal. Getting married in the desert is hardly a formal affair. Having strangers be your witnesses isn't formal. The only thing that really matters is comfort really. 

We've found a place called Tweed & Groom in Barnsley, who have everything he wants, so he has booked to go there with the two best men in May. 

I think he is just having a bit of a flap and will settle after it's out of his system. He is happy to wear converse on his feet though - so we've ticked that box.

It's a funny little role reversal, we have them quite a bit. I love football. He hates it. I found my dress shopping an easy experience, he is having a nightmare finding something to wear. No big deal. I'm sure he'll sort something out - and if not, it isn't the end of the world!

Bridezilla

Grooms wear

This is proving to be more difficult then first thought. Taking into account the desert and a party in September in the UK is proving stressful for groom-to-be. (I feel weird saying H2B despite it being easier to type!)

So far we have looked at linen suit, short suit, chinos and shirt but he seems to be settled on chinos, shirt, waistcoat. Like this:

The problem comes when he involves his two best-men. He wants matching outfits for the party, which is fine. We'd get the waistcoat and tie and hopefully, they'll have the chinos and a white shirt. But they think he should wear a suit because it'll be more formal, whereas nothing about this wedding is formal. Getting married in the desert is hardly a formal affair. Having strangers be your witnesses isn't formal. The only thing that really matters is comfort really. 

We've found a place called Tweed & Groom in Barnsley, who have everything he wants, so he has booked to go there with the two best men in May. 

I think he is just having a bit of a flap and will settle after it's out of his system. He is happy to wear converse on his feet though - so we've ticked that box.

It's a funny little role reversal, we have them quite a bit. I love football. He hates it. I found my dress shopping an easy experience, he is having a nightmare finding something to wear. No big deal. I'm sure he'll sort something out - and if not, it isn't the end of the world!

I'm sure he'll settle on something. To me a suit seems ridiculous for your wedding but each to their own! 

We are planning on going to tweed and groom so would be very interested to hear your opinions! 

Bridezilla

FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Grooms wear

I'm sure he'll settle on something. To me a suit seems ridiculous for your wedding but each to their own! 

We are planning on going to tweed and groom so would be very interested to hear your opinions! 

I will definitely report back about the experience there. So far, they seem super helpful. There aren’t many places which offer something a bit different from the usual suits!