Your planning threads

Our Puzzle Piece, Purple and a little bit traditional wedding

121 to 128 of 128 posts

Bridezilla

Wine!

H2B and I like a glass of wine and are particularly partial to a Malbec. Because the venue is dry hire our caterer is serving whatever drinks we get for the day (no corkage) so we just needed to get some drink.

The small wedding meant that it wasn't going to justify a booze cruise so we've looked at Costco, Majestic, Macro and various other wine options over the last few months trying to find a decent deal.

Eventually we noticed that Tesco were doing a limited time offer of 25% off on 6 or more bottles on a pretty broad range. Our favourite Malbec was down from £8 a bottle to £6 anyway plus 25% off - £4.50 a bottle. Plus we'd discussed at length our desire to have Champagne for the toasts. We're using prosecco for arrival drinks but for that one moment we want our preferred Champagne.  Fortunately the Veuve Cliquot yellow lable was also in the 25% off deal as was the rosé so we bit the bullet and ordered our red, white and toasting wine. Went with a known brand Pinot Grigio for the white as a safe choice.

There's a 36 bottle limit on each transaction so we're doing a separate order for the prosecco and the Pimm's isn't in the deal so that can wait until nearer the time, as can the soft drinks.

The only surprise was that the pickers didn't think to pick up the 6 bottle cases to make up our 18 red and sent it all as loose bottles!! So we're now planning to go in and ask if we can have some wine boxes from them...

So for the next nearly 5 months my parents garage is playing host to our wedding wine.

Bridezilla

Little Details

I was sitting over the Bank Holiday weekend, as I assume everyone was, reading Elsy's wedding report. H2B is a massive Lego fan (I got him Lego for Easter instead of an egg) and I loved the photo from the wedding breakfast of guests sitting playing with the Lego that had been put out as part of the table dressing.

It got me thinking that people like having something to do and play with. Much as we love Lego it doesn't fit with any other aspect of our wedding and would also be blatant idea stealing. Jigsaws however fit our theme perfectly!

H2B loves taking photos, I spend a good amount of time holding his drink or similar round various scenic locations while he takes pictures. It does mean though that whenever we've been somewhere that's special to us there are always photos of that place.

We agreed, small format jigsaws of our own photos seemed perfect, fits the puzzle piece theme and lets us bring our favourite places into the wedding and entertains our guests.

6 tables including top table - we debated having 6, 1 per table, but then were worried if one person was doing it the other side of the table would be left out... so 12.

So: internet search for photo jigsaws commenced! I looked at photobox, minibox, printer pic, Jessops etc and checked Groupon for deals. Turns out the cheapest place is Boots! Plus they're doing 30% off when you spend over a certain amount which makes the price a bit more palatable.

Photos are all chosen so in the next couple of days I'll be ordering 12 mini jigsaw puzzles!

Bridezilla

Hi hun

i loved reading these last two posts, interesting to hear about your wine choices, i would love to have champagne but everyone kept saying there would only be a few drinking it so i went for a sparlking wine in white and rose.  I am getting a bottle of my fav lauren perrier rose.  

because we are having a pay bar the pub landlord said dont get wine for the table with not having many guests or drinkers coming as he wont make any profit, cold hard truth!  

I love the idea of something to do at table, j looked at conversation starter cards which i will still get i think,  might take a pack of cards for the bar area and might get some small science based togs to dot around, ive seen bug robots and slime and stuff.  

Did you pm me last night, i saw a notification but then no message?  

Bridezilla

Katherine66 wrote (see post):

Hi hun

i loved reading these last two posts, interesting to hear about your wine choices, i would love to have champagne but everyone kept saying there would only be a few drinking it so i went for a sparlking wine in white and rose.  I am getting a bottle of my fav lauren perrier rose.  

because we are having a pay bar the pub landlord said dont get wine for the table with not having many guests or drinkers coming as he wont make any profit, cold hard truth!  

I love the idea of something to do at table, j looked at conversation starter cards which i will still get i think,  might take a pack of cards for the bar area and might get some small science based togs to dot around, ive seen bug robots and slime and stuff.  

Did you pm me last night, i saw a notification but then no message?  

Hi Kitty

Thank you! To be honest I'm 99% certain that we've over catered with the wine and champagne but I apparently scared H2B when I told him that at my cousin's wedding they understocked the bar and had to do a Tesco run part way through the evening! We figure as we've bought the wine anything not drunk we'll take home with us.

We are having a pay bar too which should cover the beer and cider drinkers who don't want wine - we had some heart,-ache over whether to get in something for them too but it gets out of hand if we try to cater for every individual. The bar's being paid a cover charge to be there and we're toying with asking if we can use their token system to pre-buy soft drinks tokens that the non drinkers can exchange for their choice of soft drink. Saves us having to supply 6 or 7 different soft drinks options and they get guaranteed custom.

We were originally going to have a quiz based upon our background music, it's all instrumental pieces from movies and I thought it'd be fun to see if anyone could name all the movies. In the end we decided against but we're definitely going with the jigsaws option.

I don't think so but I'll check, the notifications are weirdly temperamental!

Bridezilla

Lucykins wrote (see post):

The little jigsaws sound like a great idea! How many pieces will they be?

Thanks Lucykins!

We're getting them 7" x 5" and they're 40 pieces. We're trying to decide whether to give people the picture to follow or have them try to put it together to see what it is... Some are photos of really elaborate stone buildings so might be pretty difficult without the pic!

Bridezilla

Mrsseebe2be wrote (see post):
Lucykins wrote (see post):

The little jigsaws sound like a great idea! How many pieces will they be?

Thanks Lucykins!

We're getting them 7" x 5" and they're 40 pieces. We're trying to decide whether to give people the picture to follow or have them try to put it together to see what it is... Some are photos of really elaborate stone buildings so might be pretty difficult without the pic!

Maybe have the pictures but only give it to them if they get stuck?

My mum gave me one for Christmas (library-themed of course), and even with the picture it's ridiculously difficult, so many almost identical looking books.

Bridezilla

Good idea Lucykins. We've picked out all the photos and added a little text explaining what/where they are ready to upload and order. We can print the photos off anytime.

Invitations are ready for us to pick up at the weekend!