Your planning threads

Our Puzzle Piece, Purple and a little bit traditional wedding

121 to 140 of 252 posts

Bridezilla

Wine!

H2B and I like a glass of wine and are particularly partial to a Malbec. Because the venue is dry hire our caterer is serving whatever drinks we get for the day (no corkage) so we just needed to get some drink.

The small wedding meant that it wasn't going to justify a booze cruise so we've looked at Costco, Majestic, Macro and various other wine options over the last few months trying to find a decent deal.

Eventually we noticed that Tesco were doing a limited time offer of 25% off on 6 or more bottles on a pretty broad range. Our favourite Malbec was down from £8 a bottle to £6 anyway plus 25% off - £4.50 a bottle. Plus we'd discussed at length our desire to have Champagne for the toasts. We're using prosecco for arrival drinks but for that one moment we want our preferred Champagne.  Fortunately the Veuve Cliquot yellow lable was also in the 25% off deal as was the rosé so we bit the bullet and ordered our red, white and toasting wine. Went with a known brand Pinot Grigio for the white as a safe choice.

There's a 36 bottle limit on each transaction so we're doing a separate order for the prosecco and the Pimm's isn't in the deal so that can wait until nearer the time, as can the soft drinks.

The only surprise was that the pickers didn't think to pick up the 6 bottle cases to make up our 18 red and sent it all as loose bottles!! So we're now planning to go in and ask if we can have some wine boxes from them...

So for the next nearly 5 months my parents garage is playing host to our wedding wine.

Bridezilla

Little Details

I was sitting over the Bank Holiday weekend, as I assume everyone was, reading Elsy's wedding report. H2B is a massive Lego fan (I got him Lego for Easter instead of an egg) and I loved the photo from the wedding breakfast of guests sitting playing with the Lego that had been put out as part of the table dressing.

It got me thinking that people like having something to do and play with. Much as we love Lego it doesn't fit with any other aspect of our wedding and would also be blatant idea stealing. Jigsaws however fit our theme perfectly!

H2B loves taking photos, I spend a good amount of time holding his drink or similar round various scenic locations while he takes pictures. It does mean though that whenever we've been somewhere that's special to us there are always photos of that place.

We agreed, small format jigsaws of our own photos seemed perfect, fits the puzzle piece theme and lets us bring our favourite places into the wedding and entertains our guests.

6 tables including top table - we debated having 6, 1 per table, but then were worried if one person was doing it the other side of the table would be left out... so 12.

So: internet search for photo jigsaws commenced! I looked at photobox, minibox, printer pic, Jessops etc and checked Groupon for deals. Turns out the cheapest place is Boots! Plus they're doing 30% off when you spend over a certain amount which makes the price a bit more palatable.

Photos are all chosen so in the next couple of days I'll be ordering 12 mini jigsaw puzzles!

Bridezilla

Hi hun

i loved reading these last two posts, interesting to hear about your wine choices, i would love to have champagne but everyone kept saying there would only be a few drinking it so i went for a sparlking wine in white and rose.  I am getting a bottle of my fav lauren perrier rose.  

because we are having a pay bar the pub landlord said dont get wine for the table with not having many guests or drinkers coming as he wont make any profit, cold hard truth!  

I love the idea of something to do at table, j looked at conversation starter cards which i will still get i think,  might take a pack of cards for the bar area and might get some small science based togs to dot around, ive seen bug robots and slime and stuff.  

Did you pm me last night, i saw a notification but then no message?  

Bridezilla

Katherine66 wrote (see post):

Hi hun

i loved reading these last two posts, interesting to hear about your wine choices, i would love to have champagne but everyone kept saying there would only be a few drinking it so i went for a sparlking wine in white and rose.  I am getting a bottle of my fav lauren perrier rose.  

because we are having a pay bar the pub landlord said dont get wine for the table with not having many guests or drinkers coming as he wont make any profit, cold hard truth!  

I love the idea of something to do at table, j looked at conversation starter cards which i will still get i think,  might take a pack of cards for the bar area and might get some small science based togs to dot around, ive seen bug robots and slime and stuff.  

Did you pm me last night, i saw a notification but then no message?  

Hi Kitty

Thank you! To be honest I'm 99% certain that we've over catered with the wine and champagne but I apparently scared H2B when I told him that at my cousin's wedding they understocked the bar and had to do a Tesco run part way through the evening! We figure as we've bought the wine anything not drunk we'll take home with us.

We are having a pay bar too which should cover the beer and cider drinkers who don't want wine - we had some heart,-ache over whether to get in something for them too but it gets out of hand if we try to cater for every individual. The bar's being paid a cover charge to be there and we're toying with asking if we can use their token system to pre-buy soft drinks tokens that the non drinkers can exchange for their choice of soft drink. Saves us having to supply 6 or 7 different soft drinks options and they get guaranteed custom.

We were originally going to have a quiz based upon our background music, it's all instrumental pieces from movies and I thought it'd be fun to see if anyone could name all the movies. In the end we decided against but we're definitely going with the jigsaws option.

I don't think so but I'll check, the notifications are weirdly temperamental!

Bridezilla

Lucykins wrote (see post):

The little jigsaws sound like a great idea! How many pieces will they be?

Thanks Lucykins!

We're getting them 7" x 5" and they're 40 pieces. We're trying to decide whether to give people the picture to follow or have them try to put it together to see what it is... Some are photos of really elaborate stone buildings so might be pretty difficult without the pic!

Bridezilla

Mrsseebe2be wrote (see post):
Lucykins wrote (see post):

The little jigsaws sound like a great idea! How many pieces will they be?

Thanks Lucykins!

We're getting them 7" x 5" and they're 40 pieces. We're trying to decide whether to give people the picture to follow or have them try to put it together to see what it is... Some are photos of really elaborate stone buildings so might be pretty difficult without the pic!

Maybe have the pictures but only give it to them if they get stuck?

My mum gave me one for Christmas (library-themed of course), and even with the picture it's ridiculously difficult, so many almost identical looking books.

Bridezilla

Good idea Lucykins. We've picked out all the photos and added a little text explaining what/where they are ready to upload and order. We can print the photos off anytime.

Invitations are ready for us to pick up at the weekend!

Bridezilla

Mini update

We collected the invitations at the weekend - we still need to address the main invitation individually - I say we, H2B is doing this because my writing is and I quote "silly". So the main invitation cards are double sided taped on the back but not stuck down in case we mess them up... We also have spares in case we do.

We've also run into a stamp problem. When we sent the Save the Dates the first class stamps were, conveniently for us, purple. We liked the idea of pre-stamping our RSVP envelopes so they would have a little purple highlight on them the H2B will hand address the main envelopes using purple ink and they also get a purple stamp. Even as I write this I appreciate no one receiving these will notice the level of care and attention that will have gone into the "perfect" look.

So, counted up stamps needed and left over from the save the dates and order 5 books of purple stamps from the Post Office. Apparently they were out of stock when I ordered but rather than tell me or cancel my order it's now sitting in a weird "order processing' limbo... There doesn't seem to be an option to cancel which is frustrating.

On a different note we were having a house sort on bank holiday Monday (we're so rock n roll!) I was throwing away the massive collection of little ring and earring boxes I've picked up for costume jewellery over the years and noticed one of them had a little purple velvet pouch in it. Showed it to H2B and suggested it would make a good ring bag for the best man on the day. He loved it so it's gone into the 'wedding chest'. I think that may be the first free wedding thing we've got!

Bridezilla

Organist

When we booked the church we requested use of their organist and were told he was available and we were in his diary. Considering how long it took us sorting the choir the organist being sorted meant it that was the least of our worries.

So we finally nailed down an 8 part choir and then we're told that the organist has been invited to another event that day and he was making himself unavailable for the wedding! We were offered an alternative but his pacing was too slow and H2B's suggestion of giving him a preset metronome seemed more than a bit rude!

One of my old school​ friends is a piano teacher and concert organist who is available to hire for weddings. We got in touch and fortunately he was both free and happy to be involved. Amazingly we're making a small​ saving as the church are refunding us more than we're paying our own organist!

I think this way we also end up with a better quality set of musicians so we're both quite happy how that worked out.

Bridezilla

Hi hun

been a busy few days so thought i would see how you were doing.  

What a strange thing about the organist, im glad you had a back up plan and sounds like it will be a much better paced organist to!   Im pleased for you that the church is refunding, so they should!:). 

Ive put some more stuff on my thread again if you are interested.    

Bridezilla

Lucky you for being able to do that, we had someone who could play the organ for us and had asked to play but when we asked the vicar he said yes we could do that but we would still have to pay for the organist even if we weren't using theirs! We decided as we'd have to pay we would just let the church organist play and let our guest just enjoy the ceremony..... now it turns out that the organist used by the church is the vicars wife! 

Bridezilla

Tanya, ive got the vicar doing my coming out musis because its too hard for the organist to play!  How do they get these jobs???:)

Bridezilla

Katherine66 wrote (see post):

Hi hun

been a busy few days so thought i would see how you were doing.  

What a strange thing about the organist, im glad you had a back up plan and sounds like it will be a much better paced organist to!   Im pleased for you that the church is refunding, so they should!:). 

Ive put some more stuff on my thread again if you are interested.    

Oops! Completely missed these posts!

Kitty your decs are coming together beautifully - love the little keys form the tables and things!

You'll have to let me know how your trip to Miss Clemmie goes.

Tanya I'm really happy with how our Church has been - we're interregnum which meant we didn't know who would be marrying us but we actually ended up getting our preferred choice of cover vicar who does a lot of the services. They were great about the organist too - we assumed most of the fee was "organ upkeep" but they went through the fee breakdown with us standing there and said that no, that was listed separately so they adjusted our invoice accordingly.

Bridezilla

Invitations

We finally got our invitations out and sent our wedding website 'live'! We hand delivered some local invitations yesterday evening and we've already got our first RSVP back! Admittedly it's from my Mum and Dad so I knew they were coming but I've got their menu and song choices now. I suspect the others will be a bit slower to drip feed back!

Bridezilla

Updates and Surprises

Big surprise on Saturday, was having a girls day with my MOH on Saturday when she came over very serious and said she needed to tell me something. It's a secret which I'm only posting on here because I'm 100% certain nine of the people affected are on here.

Turns out my MOH is eloping! In 2 weeks she will be married! I'm a little bit gutted that she thought I'd be upset that she'd chosen this year because it's "My year". They weren't telling anyone and she only buckled with me because she was seeing me so close to the actual date.  They've been a long time coming around to this and are getting married on the 25th anniversary of their first date which is adorable. They have family issues on both sides and have always feared if they had a traditional wedding that their families would ruin the day and in the end a secret elopement was the only solution they could agree on.

Once she'd told me everything poured out, the engagement story, the engagement ring she hasn't been wearing since December, the venue, flowers, and the dress and veil which I've now seen. I'm so sorry I didn't get to see her choose it or help at all, she said she hated doing it alone. ☹️

On the plus side I found out in enough time to have provided her with jewellery for her something borrowed so in a way I get to be with her. She did say if they could have had anyone there it would have been me and H2B but having no-one is the only way they'll get forgiven when they do the big reveal which I can understand.

Bridezilla

In other news our RSVP's are steadily coming back in, had a few people RSVP using the website now too which seems to be working well. Very glad we set that up as we can keep adding new information as we go along which you really can't do with paper invitations. We are getting plenty of paper responses back too.

My second surprise came today when the wedding dress shop rang. I was half expecting a call as we ordered the dress mid November and they said 6 months. The shop owner called and said my dress arrived yesterday. But. There was a flaw in the fabric in the front panel and they had called the designer and rejected the gown!  The designer has apologised and put a rush order on to remake the dress. Apparently it will arrive 3 weeks before the Wedding, 4 weeks if I'm lucky.

They assured me they can do the fittings and alterations with no trouble in that time. I can't see me getting the 3 fittings they'd originally said I'd get but then 3 weeks before I can't see me needing more than 1 possibly 2 at a push.

I'm weirdly unfreaked by this. The only thing that's changed is I planned to choose my shoes and veil once the dress was in. I now definitely won't have time and will need the shoes for the fitting so am going to start planning to get those things soon.

I've got tulle sample colours from online veil suppliers so going to take those to the shop and decide between their veil offerings and having one made online. From what I've​ seen most people seem happy with the quality and price for online so I'm leaning towards this. Anyone who's got any feedback vastly appreciated?

Bridezilla

Gosh you are having fun! What a surprise with your moh, aww bless her she didnt want to steal your thunder, but yes i would be gutted if i had been kept out if the secret.  Are you going?   

That frustrating about the dress its like they gave you it and then took it back so you cant even see it!   I get mine fitted next week with the seamstress.   

Thank you about the decs ive had some lovely comments and really they are so cheap, haa!  

I saw miss clemmie against my better judgement,  she js doing us a matching necklace to my earrings but phtting the celtic triquatra on the bottom,  its a protection symbol and used by alot of witches and is great for us following as close a celtic lifestyle as we can.  

I will post a pic up when its ready.   Is your hairpiece ready yet?  

Bridezilla

Mrsseebe2be wrote (see post):

In other news our RSVP's are steadily coming back in, had a few people RSVP using the website now too which seems to be working well. Very glad we set that up as we can keep adding new information as we go along which you really can't do with paper invitations. We are getting plenty of paper responses back too.

My second surprise came today when the wedding dress shop rang. I was half expecting a call as we ordered the dress mid November and they said 6 months. The shop owner called and said my dress arrived yesterday. But. There was a flaw in the fabric in the front panel and they had called the designer and rejected the gown!  The designer has apologised and put a rush order on to remake the dress. Apparently it will arrive 3 weeks before the Wedding, 4 weeks if I'm lucky.

They assured me they can do the fittings and alterations with no trouble in that time. I can't see me getting the 3 fittings they'd originally said I'd get but then 3 weeks before I can't see me needing more than 1 possibly 2 at a push.

I'm weirdly unfreaked by this. The only thing that's changed is I planned to choose my shoes and veil once the dress was in. I now definitely won't have time and will need the shoes for the fitting so am going to start planning to get those things soon.

I've got tulle sample colours from online veil suppliers so going to take those to the shop and decide between their veil offerings and having one made online. From what I've​ seen most people seem happy with the quality and price for online so I'm leaning towards this. Anyone who's got any feedback vastly appreciated?

Hi Mrsseebe I got my veil from theweddingveilshop.co.uk can't fault their communication or service and my veil is perfect, beautifully made, I would definitely recommend them! And so much cheaper than buying one in a bridal store.