Your planning threads

Our classic (but hopefully laid-back) wedding! August 2018.

61 to 80 of 97 posts

Bridezilla

Sunday thoughts

So it’s Easter Sunday and I’m currently in a food/chocolate induced coma on the sofa. 

I‘m really looking forward to our menu tasting next Sunday! When we‘ve been to view it before, the marquee has been empty and not dressed so I‘m excited to see it with the tables set and everyone sat down to eat. 

Also once we’ve made our menu choices, it’s finally time to print our invites and send them out! I’ve been avoiding doing an invite update on here because it’s been so difficult finalising the design. I’m creating them myself and boy oh boy do I wish I’d just paid someone to do it! Anyway... they are pretty much sorted now, we just need to get the main invite and the menu/rsvp/accommodation cards  printed. I’ll post some pictures when they’re fully assembled!

H2B and I went to look at wedding bands again yesterday but we haven’t got any closer to buying one. I’m starting to get really frustrated with jobs like this that can just be done and out the way instead of hanging around on the to-do list for months and months! Same goes for our wedding car. I’ve given H2B the task of organising it and nothing’s been done. Part of me wants to just do it myself but at the same time I want him to take on some of the responsibility so I can relax a bit!! I’m sure I’m not the only one losing their patience?!

Bridezilla

Wedding shoes

Ooh I forgot to mention, I think I’ve found my wedding shoes! I went to London on Friday to catch up with a friend and I’d mentioned that it would be nice to look around for some wedding shoes. I got off the tube and was bursting for the loo so I went into Debenhams to use the ladies... on the way there the Jenny Packham section caught my eye and I saw these beauties!

They look nicer and taller in person so I’ll take some pics once they arrive. It’s funny because if I’d have just seen these online I wouldn’t have considered them at all but in person I loved them. I tried them on in store and they fit nicely but I had black tights on so couldn’t really see how they would look on the day. The colour will suit my dress nicely I think so fingers crossed I still love them when they arrive 😁

Bridezilla

New to this wrote (see post):

Love those shoes!!! Ive tried so many pairs of shoes on and sent so many back!! I currently have 2 pairs 😂! X

Oh I'm exactly the same! These have arrived and I still like them but I can't commit to them haha, I'm gonna keep them but keep on looking  x

Bridezilla

Just made it through your thread! I love how elegant everything is that you are doing.

Glad you found your shoes. I am actually finding it really difficult to pick my own. Especially because I don't want high heels. I like the detail on the ones you saw at Debehams.

Your dress looks incredible on you! And your flower ideas are drop-dead gorgeous.

Bridezilla

DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

Just made it through your thread! I love how elegant everything is that you are doing.

Glad you found your shoes. I am actually finding it really difficult to pick my own. Especially because I don't want high heels. I like the detail on the ones you saw at Debehams.

Your dress looks incredible on you! And your flower ideas are drop-dead gorgeous.

Thank so much DandelionBlue! I've actually changed my shoes again haha, I just can't make my mind up! The Debenhams ones looked lovely but they felt a bit too traditional for me. They were 'nice' but didn't excite me so they went back! x

Bridezilla

I don't know where the past three weeks have gone! I keep meaning to update this thread but can't seem to find the time 

Invites

So after months of not knowing what to do with our invites, they are finally finished and sent! I designed the invites myself to save us money but they really stressed me out because I didn't know how to style them... if that makes sense. Designing the actual files was straightforward but packaging them nicely was an issue.

At first I was going to create them as a pocketfold with a main invite on the left hand side, and info/RSVP/menu cards slotted on the right. Something like this is what I was aiming for:

Amazing Colors For Fall Wedding Invitations | http://www.weddinginclude.com/2015/06/amazing-colors-for-fall-wedding-invitations/

But I really struggled decorating the envelope. It was far too plain and I'm not creative enough to decorate, and I just couldn't find the right materials at a decent price. It was also shaping up to be A LOT of work.

So one day I was browsing and came across Adorn Invitations. I found this gorgeous laser cut invite

The price was relatively good and it's a perfect match for the classic vibe I'm going for! You can have your invite details printed directly onto this but as I'd already gone to the effort of designing ours, I opted to have it blank on the inside, except for a small quote on the left hand side.

Then the original info/RSVP/menu cards I designed were tied in a bow and put in the envelope with the main invite.

I'm so so happy with how they've turned out!

They came with some stunning envelopes and lovely stickers to seal the envelopes too. I really recommend Adorn Invitations for anyone doing theirs DIY. You get a proof service as well which lets you make changes up to 3 times before they finalise your order.

I ordered these laser cut invites just for our day guests whereas evening guests are receiving a single double-sided invite. This saved us money and also I don't think evening guests need to be overloaded with so much info!

As for the actual printed materials. These were done at our local Kallkwik and I'm so happy with them. It was a weight off my mind getting to go in and choose paper stock rather than risking it online.

Also I should add that we have a wedding website for RSVPs instead of including an addressed envelope for responses.

I'm so happy I can finally cross invites off the list! 

Bridezilla

Suits

Another exciting update - H2B has organised the suit hire for him and his groomsmen! I don't know what he's gone for in the end and I want to keep it a surprise. I'm just glad he's done them well ahead of time! Ladies... do not stress about your H2Bs not doing things - leave them to it and they will get it done!

Menu

I also haven't updated here about our menu choices. We went for a tasting at the start of April and 16 courses later we decided on what we wanted. (We didn't eat 16 full meals btw, just tasters )

Starters

- Homemade Chicken Liver Pate, Melba Toast and Chutney

- Smoked Ham and Garden Pea Soup with Tarragon Cream

- Mozzarella and Tomato Salad

Mains

- Roast Beef Sirloin Strip with Yorkshire Pudding and Gravy

- Slow Roasted Belly of Pork served with Garlic Mash and Apple Calvados Sauce

- Sweet Red Pepper, Basil and Goat's Cheese Tartlet

Desserts

- Lemon Cheesecake

- Eton Mess

Bridezilla

Shoes!

Ok so I've also got a new pair of shoes! I was eyeing up Badgley Mischka shoes for ages but they were all too expensive. My friend suggested I look on Vestaire Collective and set up an alert for my size so I did. And it wasn't long before I found a pair for £60 which I was really chuffed with. 

They need wearing in but I love them!

BADGLEY  MISCHKA Leather heels - Picture 1

BADGLEY  MISCHKA Leather heels - Picture 2

Bridezilla

Sian91 wrote (see post):

Those shoes are gorgeous and always good to get a deal! I’ve been wearing my wedding shoes doing the housework haha

Ooh good shout! Are you letting H2B see them? I know he won’t be bothered about my shoes but part of me wants to keep them secret! X

New bride

Just read through your thread and everything looks incredible!!n Your dress is gorgeous and I love your colour theme, very chic! I hope you dont mind but I would love to know roughly how much you are spending on your flowers, as I want a similar amount, but not sure how much I should be budgeting! I've tried emailing florists local to me but they all say they want to have a consultation before giving me a quote, but I really only need a rough guide right now! 

Bridezilla

abbigeorgia wrote (see post):

Just read through your thread and everything looks incredible!!n Your dress is gorgeous and I love your colour theme, very chic! I hope you dont mind but I would love to know roughly how much you are spending on your flowers, as I want a similar amount, but not sure how much I should be budgeting! I've tried emailing florists local to me but they all say they want to have a consultation before giving me a quote, but I really only need a rough guide right now! 

Thank you so much! I will message you about the flower costs :). I now how annoying it is having to have consultations all the time! x

Bridezilla

Today I went jewellery shopping!

I've been eyeing up the Ivory and Co pieces for a while so mum and I went over to John Lewis to have a look. I would have just ordered some online but there's a no returns policy with earrings so I wanted to have a look in the flesh.

They are all just as lovely as they look online! The teardrop-style necklaces and earrings are my fave.

I tried a few sets on but the necklace I really wanted wasn't in store unfortunately. But I've ordered it since I've come home so fingers crossed I will like it!

There are some matching earrings online too but I'll wait and see how I feel about the necklace. The prices aren't too bad - the necklace is £55 and the earrings are £60. I only budgeted £100 for jewellery so it would be slightly over but I can let £15 slide!

Cake stand

While I was in John Lewis, I also had a look for cake stands. They only had plain glass or painted ceramic ones which wasn't right so the hunt continues...

Bridezilla

My to-do list

So with just over 3 months to go, I'm posting my to-do list. A) because I need a kick up the bum, and B) because it might be handy for anyone else at the same stage!

Outfits

- Wear shoes in 

- Veil

- Underwear

Suppliers

- Book wedding car

- Book hair stylist

- Book chiavari chairs (the supplier I was going to use has been a total let-down so I'm back to the drawing board)

- Confirm steel band can play (family friend who won't give me a definite yes UGH)

Decisions to make

- Pick readings

- Cake flavours

- Ice cream flavours

- Song for signing the register

- Hymns

DIY jobs

- Order pom poms and assemble

- Burn CDs/create playlist for during wedding breakfast

- Table plan

- Playlist for inbetween band sets

To buy

- H2Bs wedding ring

- Thank you gifts

- Cake topper and stand

- Place names/favours

Logistics and organisation

- Packing list for morning of

- Confirm who is staying overnight at reception venue

- Make a list of everything we want to keep on the day

- Photography brief

- Print directions from church to reception

Guest List

- Chase RSVPs and menu choices

Wedding addict

We are July 28th and the decisions to make is the same! We aren’t having hymns as it’s a civil ceremony but need to decide on songs for the pianist to play whilst signing the register. We also need to decide on readings, ice cream and cake flavours! I’ve had my hair trial and got my makeup one booked. Our rings arrived yesterday. We need to decide on a first dance song too.xxx 

Bridezilla

Amanda198 wrote (see post):

We are July 28th and the decisions to make is the same! We aren’t having hymns as it’s a civil ceremony but need to decide on songs for the pianist to play whilst signing the register. We also need to decide on readings, ice cream and cake flavours! I’ve had my hair trial and got my makeup one booked. Our rings arrived yesterday. We need to decide on a first dance song too.xxx 

Oh it's good to know I'm not too behind then! We have our first dance song but we need to actually decide if we're brave enough to dance to it haha. It's quite upbeat so we can't get away with just rocking around in a circle  xx

Bridezilla

Williams2James wrote (see post):
Sian91 wrote (see post):

Those shoes are gorgeous and always good to get a deal! I’ve been wearing my wedding shoes doing the housework haha

Ooh good shout! Are you letting H2B see them? I know he won’t be bothered about my shoes but part of me wants to keep them secret! X

Yep! He was with me when i bought them, hasn’t yet questioned why I need two pairs either haha x

Wedding addict

Please do come and update us .Im an avid reader,just never comment as I never know what exactly to say but all your plans sound amazing and I love your blig on Wordpress.Please do update that one too 

Bridezilla

MrsK2018 wrote (see post):

Please do come and update us .Im an avid reader,just never comment as I never know what exactly to say but all your plans sound amazing and I love your blig on Wordpress.Please do update that one too 

Aw thank you MrsK2018, I didn't think anyone was reading! I will update today  xx