Your planning threads

Our Big Fat Foodie Wedding

1 to 20 of 715 posts

Bridezilla

I did start a thread before I was engaged but looking back on it I don't actually like it, so rewriting now I am actually engaged. In fact, I am writing this on the way home after an amazing whirlwind 48 hours.

First a bit about me and Mr R. I am a materialistic Londoner, he is a down to earth super intelligent (think captain of UCL University Challenge team) Essex boy. Our lives were very far apart when we met on POF in 2013. I was living the highlife in my flat in London in a great job but being bled dry by my then partner who cleared my bank accounts and life savings. He was living alone in a job he hated.  We chatted for a bit online but he then disappeared. I thought nothing of it and chalked it down to experience. A few months later I was going through my phone, found his number and texted him asking if I should just delete his number. He replied, apologising. He had lost his Nan, Aunt and Uncle in a very short space of time and hadn't been in a good place. We agreed to meet for a drink. Our first date was in a chilled pub in London and within a few weeks we were inseparable. 

Bridezilla

After a few months, he moved into my flat in London, but we maintained the “Country Pad” for the odd weekend.  Eventually however, my handbag collection took up too much space, and I realised that whilst where he was wasn’t where I wanted to be for the long-term, it made far more financial sense to sell, and move out to Essex.  I hated the place we were living in, but getting pet rescue chickens helped, along with house hunting. 

In January of this year, I finally realised that what I wanted in a house wasn’t available where I wanted it and started looking at other areas.  We found our pretty much perfect house straight away- 5 mins from a train station, and big inside.  The garden was a little smaller than we liked, but we only need space for the chickens anyway.  However, it wasn’t near a tube which was my number one thing.  We worked out that if we moved the ”almost perfect” house to the perfect location we would be looking at around 900-1.2M.  Slightly out of budget!  So was I willing to compromise.  After weighing up the pros and cons I was, and we are about a week away from exchange at the moment.  So house was done- next was the engagement.

As I mentioned, I am materialistic in many ways, and Mr R is totally the opposite.  He actually asked me to choose my ring.  We have a family jeweller (Simon from Abiba in Hatton Garden if anyone is interested and looking- he is brilliant) and so we went there and picked my perfect ring.  We did debate over 2.  Ironically he (quite rightly as a scientist) picked the better diamond but there was something about the one we got that just said to me “I am yours”  He then took it away and hid it somewhere for the next few months, until he was ready to propose.

Bridezilla

I kept waiting for the proposal.  Our anniversary came and went, my birthday, so many other things, but no proposal.  Eventually he promised me that we would not move into our new home as “boyfriend and girlfriend” I went to LA for a business trip at the end of May, and he told me when I got back that he had been round to see my parents, but that my Dad wasn’t there.  He asked if I could sneakily find a time that they would be in, which I managed to do.  Friday night he went over to see them, and we had the agreement that once he had done that I had to do everything he said without questioning. 

On Saturday we had plans- going to our favourite farmers market (Great Garnetts), a lunch, and then seeing friends, as well as a hair cut and colour.  Obviously as I was having a colour I didn’t wash my hair that morning, as we were leaving Mr R asked me to wait in the car for a few minutes.  I did suspect something was up, but as he was winding me up all the time I thought it was just him.  Anyway, off we went.  When we got to the market, we did our shopping, and went to get in the car to leave.  I tried to get in, but the door was locked.  Mr R then led me away, into one of the nearby fields, and got down on one knee, and asked me to marry him.  I apparently was trembling, and didn’t let him finish before saying yes!  One of the workers at the farm saw us, congratulated us and took a pic.  I was then told that I couldn’t know the plans for the rest of the day, but that the hair and friends were cancelled.  My first thought was “oh no… my roots”  LOL.

We then drove off for a meal at a local pub.  The weather was perfect.  After that, he gave me a postcode and we ended up in the middle of the country, on a farm.  When we pulled in I thought it would possibly be tractor riding, or shooting, but it turned out that in the grounds of the farm was an old bake house converted into a cottage, which was where we were staying for the night.  Unfortunately we had to take a trip to Tesco 8 miles away as he had forgotten a charger, but actually that worked out well as we got some soft drinks.  We then sat in the garden for the afternoon, drinking champagne, and chilling. 

In the evening we were booked into a restaurant- The Flitch of Bacon.  Slight issue- all the taxis were booked, and we were 5 miles from it.  Luckily the lovely farm people found us one, and we went off for an incredible 7 course meal at a restaurant that I reckon will have it’s star within a year or so.  We had the wine pairing, so that along with champagne, cocktails, and a few other drinks for him meant that we were both a little tipsy by the end of the dinner!

Bridezilla

Your thread title had me. I'm a massive foodie, which isn't great when you're trying to fit into a wedding dress 😂. Look forward to reading more 

url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10743;6/st/20170715/e/Our+Wedding+Day%21%21/k/d5bf/event.png

Bridezilla

Neeks Bride to be wrote (see post):

Your thread title had me. I'm a massive foodie, which isn't great when you're trying to fit into a wedding dress 😂. Look forward to reading more 

Haha, Neeks ditto.  Am going to do my venue search post over the next few days, but basically my criteria is that they allow us to use our own caterer, and that the caterer is willing to allow us to use some of our local food suppliers- our pet chickens have their own twitter, and have quite a following amongst the local producers in our area!  We have so many cool ideas, and nearly all focus on the food theme!  

Wedding addict

Yay new planning thread! I'm assuming since you are on the 2018 slimming group with me that you are planning for next year? Super exciting to see the 2018 threads come along. 

I'm interested to see your ring that wanted to be yours - do you have a picture? 

Looking forward to reading more. :-)

Bridezilla

The Official Announcement

One of the things I really wanted to do was announce the engagement in a more creative way.  As soon as I was engaged, I emailed a local balloon lady and asked her if she could put together some balloons- a total of 6 for my sister (MOH) SIL (BM) niece (Flower Girl) and 3 nephews (Page Boys)  As you will see from the pics below they did a great job, at such short notice as well.  This of course involved us delivering the balloons in person.  Slight issue- my sister lives 80 miles away.  

We ended up doing a mental day of driving everywhere.  Started off when we got home- picked up balloons, then to Mr R’s parents, followed by his Nan.  Off to Hertfordshire to see his sister who wasn’t in, making us late getting to my parents, to drive down to Reading as a surprise for my sister.  Then back to London, and finally Essex where we could do our own official announcement.  My family were overjoyed, his family I am sure were, but showed it a lot less.

We got back around 10.30pm. We were shattered, but really wanted to do our own announcement on FB.  I mean nothing is official anymore until it is FB Official, right?!!  So with that done we went to bed on cloud 9.  

Bridezilla

FutureMrsP2018 wrote (see post):

Yay new planning thread! I'm assuming since you are on the 2018 slimming group with me that you are planning for next year? Super exciting to see the 2018 threads come along. 

I'm interested to see your ring that wanted to be yours - do you have a picture? 

Looking forward to reading more. :-)

Hey!  We are hoping to be 2018, but already found our perfect venue, which we are viewing on Sat.  They do a max of 25 weddings a year, and are fully booked for 18, but neither of us really want to wait until 19 if possible.  So kind of maybe 2018, maybe 19.

Re the ring, I am trying to upload a pic but they are all on my phone, and the site seems to be pretty rubbish on uploading pics from phones.  Any suggestions?  I have asked it on the board, so hopefully someone can shed light!

Bridezilla

Lauren320 wrote (see post):

Going to be following this! I'm a huge foodie, so the food is going to be a massive part of our day. Can't wait until menu tasting !

Ooo will have to check out yours as well-  everyone knows the whole day should be about the food right?!! Or maybe just me thinking that LOL

New bride

britbird wrote (see post): 

Ooo will have to check out yours as well-  everyone knows the whole day should be about the food right?!! Or maybe just me thinking that LOL

To be honest, I think as long as you get married, and have good food, it's a great day! My budget doesn't stretch out as far as external caterers, so we're going internal. But our venue choices underwent a lot of scrutiny to check the food is up to scratch haha. I will post about it soon!

Bridezilla

Lauren320. I am hopeful our budget does. One issue am currently finding is that the barns I have found seem a bit dark. My sister is deaf so needs good lighting....

Bridezilla

Venue hunting

As many of you know, I have been active on here since I found out I was getting engaged in January.  That also included a Pinterest Board, and lots of venue hunting.  We had certain criteria:

Must be exclusive

120-130 for day, up to 200 for evening

Not a hotel or a marquee

Within 45 mins drive of home (Herts/Essex Border)

No corkage

Not a total DIY (i.e. village hall) but not too structured (i.e. can choose own caterer)

Good lighting- my sister is deaf so needs good lighting

I have begun my hunt, but am starting to get a little bit despondent as nothing ticks all the boxes.  So far on the list we have nothing in Herts as I can’t find any no corkage venues, and then the following:

Great Lodge- We are viewing this on Sat, but my Mum thinks it is too dark inside.  Am hoping it isn’t.  This is our number 1 venue.

Marks Hall Coach House

The Reid Rooms I love the outside space, but think the inside may not be right.

Houchins Not sure on corkage for here. They do also have Dove Barn as a sister venue, which def. Has no corkage, but that might be too far.

Does anyone have any hints on other no corkage venues in Herts and Essex at all?!!!

Bridezilla

Ooo forgot to post about our announcement.  We both love playing games, and as a total geek Mr R is great at scrabble.  This announcement seemed fitting.

Bridezilla

VegasLou wrote (see post):

Yay you've sorted the pics! What a great way to announce your engagement, your ring is beautiful. 

Good luck with the venue viewing at the weekend, fx it's not too dark. 

Nope- I just downloaded them onto my PC at work during lunch and did it then !  Thank you.  We have had so many positive comments on the announcement, which is lovely.  

Hails has now turned me towards Colville as well, which is amazing, but less choice, and more costly by the looks of it.  They are coming in at 7.5k just for venue hire, and that isn't even with the ceremony.  

Wedding addict

Have you looked at Layer Marney Tower? It's in Colchester.

I wanted a similar no cottage so ill have a look at the venues I found and see if I can recommend any. I saw reid rooms. MUCH nicer in real life than the website leads you to believe but the rooms were still a little too separate for me.