Your planning threads

MossMough Wedding

61 to 80 of 103 posts

Wedding addict

MY SISTERS WEDDING

At the time that me and S got engaged, my sister had been engaged for nearly 2 years. As we started looking for venues straight away, it gave her fiance a kick up the bum and his words were “I‘m not having all these **** getting married before us” 😂😂 (not said offensively).  

I had sent my sister a list of venues we wanted to view, one being Belle Époque in Knutsford - I then get a call from my sister - “erm don’t you think that one would be too small for you guys” - “why?” - “because me and M want to book it”.  The venue we’re offering a last minute winter deal which meant the difference of my sister getting married in a generic conference hotel or a beautiful, detailed historic wedding venue.  We did go to view it first and gave them the go ahead to book as it wasn‘t quite what we were looking for.  This was the beginning of February and they booked the wedding for 14th April, so there was 8 weeks to plan a whole wedding. 

It was a stressful time and I’m sure that if they had more time to save and plan, they would have done things differently, but in all honesty, I thought it was perfect as the boys they would have changed, wouldn’t have changed the whole day and experience for everyone.

My sister had her 3 daughters and 2 nieces as flower girls and even had her eldest daughter walk her down the aisle, which was beautiful. Me and my Younger sister we’re going to be bridesmaids but it was too difficult to find dresses that suited us both and coordinated with the flower girls, so we kept the responsibilities but got to wear what we were both comfortable in.

The wedding dress was bought from a sample sale for just £275 and it was a perfect fit apart from the length. As the skirt was tulle, I was able to adjust the length myself with some careful cutting whilst B was stood in the dress.  I do a little sewing, so I offered to make her veil, which was actually easier than I expected. I made her a 2 tier catherdral length veil and attached it to a silver detailed comb from Claire’s. 

The weather was rubbish on the run up to the wedding, but on the day it was glorious sunshine and we all got to enjoy the sun for a few hours. 

They weren’t going to have a photographer at first, but one of mine and S’s friends has set up his own business so he was able to cover it at “mates rates” for us and the photos were amazing! Here‘s A few.....(screenshots as wont let me upload the size of the photographers photos)

Bridezilla

We used getting married for our wedding website and we also pinched the image from the stationary as the  background for the website, oops!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/newcastle-wedding-november-2018/454464.html

Wedding addict

A SECOND DRESS 

My main concern with the wedding dress I've chosen is that I'll find it too restricting when it comes to dancing and I may get fed up in the dress - I was at a wedding once and at about 1030pm the bride got fed up of her dress and changed into comfies, not really what I want to do.  I tried to combat this by looking at different styles of dresses, but they just didn't make me feel as amazing as my dress, so I thought I'll just deal with it.

Then, seeing how much my sister was able to enjoy her wedding until the end of the night in her free flowing dress, I thought, I've got to have a back up plan.

I was mainly looking on ASOS to start, but all the dresses that I liked on there were around the £100 mark or more.  I thought if I spent that much on a dress, I would probably feel obliged to wear it, but I was just looking for a back up, in case I do want to break free from my dress.  I had a little look on Boohoo and found this fabulous dress and it was on offer for about £35!  

I couldn't believe the quality and how much I loved it when I tried it on, it was a keeper!  And if I don't end up wearing it, it's not too "wedding" not to be worn for something else, I could easily make it into a midi dress and wear it for another occasion. 

Now that we've selected the band (I'll do a little post on that another day - oh what a headache), I'm 95% sure that I will change into this dress ready for their second set of the night, it wont be until about 10.30pm / 11pm, as I want to make sure everyone gets a good look at me in my WOW dress.

Has anyone else got a change for the evening?  What are your thoughts on this?

Wedding addict

Thanks Sian91, I've just been scanning through your planning thread as by the time I joined you were already married - I think we've got very similar minds.  I love your bridesmaid dresses, I have the shorter version of the dress in mint green.  I also saw that you went to France for your wine - did you do it through Majestic Wines?  We went there for a tasting the other day and picked our wines, I didn't select Devil's Creek as they said they didn't have it in the French store, I bought a bottle for myself though, as had a little taste and loved it!  I saw that you were having a nightmare with your custom dress - obviously, you got it sorted in the end, I can't wait to read more on your report!

Bridezilla

That’s a lovely evening dress. It looks more expensive than Boohoo!! I’ve got a flowy A line dress but was probably more bothered about being comfortable for the meal than the evening dancing when you’re stood up mostly anyway, and some of the fitted dresses I tried and loved were just awful to try and sit down in (I would bet my wedding fund on not being one of those brides who can’t eat!!). I think if your dress restricted dancing as well though I’d definitely be tempted to change and think it’s a great idea to have a dress that doesn’t break the bank if for any reason you get carried away and don’t end up using it. 

Bridezilla

Love the evening dress! And very restrained of you, mine was a bit more expensive so I have to wear it oops  (I love it so that's not exactly a hardship) although actually both came to about £1100 so I guess it's about the cost of a normal dress so I am telling myself it's justified..

I  think a second dress is a really good idea if you want to be able to relax in the evening, you want to enjoy all of it and if you're shuffling around in a hot or uncomfortable dress for the whole thing it will get draining! Something you can dance around in will be perfect :). Mine isn't that light but compared to my main dress it is much more movable so definitely an improvement.

Cecilia x

My planning thread : http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/relaxed-summer-wedding-in-the-chilterns/454084.html

Wedding addict

Thanks Cecilia13, both of your dresses are gorg too and very well justified, my wedding dress for £1740, so I'm keen to keep it on as long as possible.  I think if my dress was cheaper, I would probably be more inclined to have two two stopping dresses that I definitely wear, like yourself. 

I remember reading on your thread that you're not sure when to change and was thinking before the evening starts, personally I would suggest during the evening, only because I think it would be nice for your evening guests to see you in both dresses.

Bridezilla

Jessica Rabbit wrote (see post):

Thanks Ashley72, Oh I can guarantee my dress wont keep me from eating during the day haha.  It's the sleeves that are my main concern, as they restrict me putting my arms up and I'm all arms when I'm dancing haha.

Ohh if it’s sleeves I definitely vote a second dress. I’m also all arms! 

Bridezilla

Jessica Rabbit wrote (see post):

Thanks Cecilia13, both of your dresses are gorg too and very well justified, my wedding dress for £1740, so I'm keen to keep it on as long as possible.  I think if my dress was cheaper, I would probably be more inclined to have two two stopping dresses that I definitely wear, like yourself. 

I remember reading on your thread that you're not sure when to change and was thinking before the evening starts, personally I would suggest during the evening, only because I think it would be nice for your evening guests to see you in both dresses.

Thanks! I'm thinking about changing into it for first dance maybe? Our first dance song is probably going to be from Labyrinth so I think all the sparkles would be appropriate hehe.

Your dress is totally amazing so definitely wear it as long as can :) but it's not worth feeling super uncomfortable, do whatever will make it the most enjoyable for you.

Cecilia x

My planning thread : http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/relaxed-summer-wedding-in-the-chilterns/454084.html

Wedding addict

HEN DO

I booked the hen do about 6 months ago, we're due to make our final payment on it this month - I tend to get more excited for things after they're paid off, I'm not sure if it's because I'm still waiting to see if anyone drops out or doesn't pay up (although I think I'll have one late payer).

I would have loved to do a festival for my hen do, I usually do about 3 a year, but with getting married in March, it would have meant having the hen do about 6 months early.  So, I figured the closet thing to that would be a Butlins Music Weekend - oh yes!

We've gone for the Legends of Soul Weekend at the end of January, at the time of booking we didn't know the line up, but it's been announced now and Billie Ocean in the headliner, how amazing is that!.  I know Butlins might not sound like the most glamorous hen do, but it's got everything I want - in the UK, music entertainment, not too costly, will be a good laugh.

When I originally priced it up, it came to around £154 per person, then I managed to get the price down a little and added on a 2-hour spa pass for everyone, but didn't tell people that I had made a saving.  The idea behind this was any extra money could either go in the drinks kitty, or cover a shortfall if anyone pulled out.  Luckily everyone's still confirmed, so it looks like we'll have about £90 in the kitty for drinks / food in the apartments.

What's included - getting 3 seaside 2-bed apartments for 3 nights, access to the live music Friday, Saturday and Sunday and as mentioned, 2-hour spa pass, which we'll probably use on the Saturday.  All of the apartments are self catering, so we'll probably take something for tea on the Friday night, take food for breakfast, so we can lounge about in our PJ's all morning and maybe eat on the Saturday and Sunday nights.

Has anyone else been to one of these before?  I went years ago with another group of friends, it's was a good laugh but unfortunately ended in a disaster as one of the girls was very naughty and the rest of us didn't agree with her actions (cheater cheater pumpkin eater).

Bridezilla

Sounds fun! I went to an 80s weekend at Butlins years ago, and my friend who I was sharing a room with met this guy, so I spent the whole weekend sleeping on a tiny 2 seater sofa. Wasn't happy! I also got horrifically sunburnt!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

I went on a hen do at Butlins years ago, also ended in a bit of a disaster as the bride (a cousin's wife to be) and her friends were awful and b*tchy, segregated themselves (which was a good thing as their behaviour was far from ideal!), and just generally caused an awful atmosphere and all fell out amongst themselves by the last day. Bar that we all had a great time though and I think they're a great shout especially if you've got a mixed age group and want entertainment on the doorstep! The line up looks like it'll be a great night, make sure you've comfy shoes for dancing all night!

Wedding addict

FLORAL HAIR PIECES

I've spent quite a lot of time trying to decide between fresh, dried or artificial floral hair pieces for me and the BM's, after a lot of searching, I found these headbands on Etsy made out of Mulberry Paper Flowers (never heard of them before).

Aren't they just beautiful!  And even better, because I can make them myself well in advance.

I found a couple of suppliers on eBay and ordered a small selection of flowers to check out.  I decided to go with a particular supplier from Thailand, beautiful flowers, good prices and a very wide selection.  I then placed by "big" order, all in all I've spent about £100 on the flowers, including floristry supplies to actually make them.

Now this may sound like a lot, but this should be more than enough to make the following:

1 x bridal crown / headband

3 x hair pieces for the BM's & Minimaid

3 x crowns / headbands for the flower girls

3 x heart wands for the flower girls

I think if I would have bought them all from a supplier, it would have worked out around £200, plus I love making things myself.

The flowers arrived over the weekend and I was like a little girl on Christmas morning, I couldn't wait to get started.  I made my first hair piece on Monday night and couldn't resist sticking my hair up and trying it on.

I love how the flowers look, but when I first tried it on, I wasn't sure if the shape / thickness was right.  I then looked at the picture a couple of hours later and liked it more than before.  I suppose I'll have to wait until I see it on someone else before deciding if it needs any changes (my MofH is coming round next Thursday, so she can try it then).

What do you ladies think?  Is it a winner?  

Bridezilla

I love it, it's so pretty! And the shape is perfect x

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/newcastle-wedding-november-2018/454464.html

Bridezilla

Wow you are very clever love you flower head piece! the colours are really lovely.

Havent been to Butlins myself but have heard good things about the music weekends.