Your planning threads

A wedding in the Gower

281 to 300 of 412 posts

Bridezilla

You looook amazing! 

My dress also has to have all the lace applique removed to shorten it!

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Bridezilla

Looking lovely in your dress. And love all the little gift details!

To weigh in on your house buying plans, I may take a little bit of a different view. In years to come - you will not be speaking about the house. At all. But you will speak about your travels for the rest of your lives. Forgive me - I feel an essay starting. 

Starting your married life with just the two of you - will be so much more fun than real life worries. You’ll have the most amazing time and stories and meet some amazing people along the way  

The other advantage of travelling is that you realise how little of the crap we buy, we actually need or derive pleasure from. When you get back, keep your life simple and you'll save up the deposit much quicker.

Don't be frightened into buying now because 'prices are only going up'  that’s life. It happens. 

Once you buy a house, perhaps have a family, spending a time travelling is an option for just a very few so if the sums/jobs/housing works then I say 'go for it'. 

Leave the “sensible” adult hat off. Too often we value things over experiences. When you’re both old and grey you will talk about the adventures you had, not the evenings spent on the sofa. 

Bridezilla

Gorgeous dress! Will you have your hair down or up do you think? I'm super jealous of your lovely long waves! I guess that would affect jewellery too? If it's up you might feel you need something more, if it's down it might not seem so bare.

Cecilia x

My planning thread : http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/relaxed-summer-wedding-in-the-chilterns/454084.html

Bridezilla

Thankyou so much everyone!

When I first saw the dress hung up I'd forgotten all the sparkles dotted around and panicked that my belt wouldn't suit it... but as the belt has a bit of bling on it it was all fine, in fact it matches incredibly well!

It really doesn't sit well with me that the lace will be taken off, its my favourite part of the dress and for literally an inch or so I don't know whether it is worth it! WIll be seeing the seamstress on  Aug 7th, I'm sure she'll telll me whether it is necessary or not.

In regards to the necklace, youre right... I think it definitely needs something, I'm thinking of having my hair in a "half up, half down" with maybe a detaled plait keeping the front of my hair off my face but the rest being wavy as normal.. as this will mean no hair towards the front of my face, a necklace would definitely take away from the "nude-ness"

Dessert-Bride... thankyou for taking the time to give us such great advise! Youre completely right, we've spent the last few weeks debating between keeping our travel plans as normal and starting the house buying process on our return, or to try and combine the two. It is such a difficult decision and I've not been handling the stress too well.

D and I are on exact opposite shifts this week which has meant we haven't been able to discuss it as much, i thought this would lead to a conclusive answer but it hasn't really.

Our dream has always been to start our married life just the two of us on a massive adventure and with a lot of hard work/comprimises over the last 18months we've managed to save the money/ take the time off work- we have travelled before but the point of this trip wasn't just to spend time in new countries but to have a sense of being "free" together, to make choices on the road. whether we want to move on or stay in a certain place would have no affect on anybody except ourselves and that is what I feel we'd lose by going through with the house purchase, our plans would need to become tighter and therefore (although we'd still be away for 3+months) we wouldn't have that same freedom of time that we'd dreamt about.

BUT on the other hand, we will return in 6 months with nothing and be back living with my parents until we sort something out, possibly renting again which will certainly delay us buying a house. Living with my parents has actually been a lot easier than I anticpated, but I think we'll feel differently when were married, especially on our rerturn and our priorty will be getting a place of our own ASAP. We loved the house and the area is great, close enough to friends and family. It's affordable at the moment and we're lucky enough to be in a position to buy, if we let this opportunity pass, it is possible for our circumstances to change and we may not be in this position again.

We're really struggling to decide what to do for the best!

Bridezilla

Oh my goodness you look beautiful - what a stunning dress and everything goes so well together.

My dress has arrived in the shop and I am trying it on tomorrow - I hope it fits and I still love it.

The sample I tried on was so small so I couldn't get a proper feel for it. 

Now I'm off to get all my accessories out to take with me to make sure it all matches!
Thank you for sharing xxx

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/intimate-villa-cyprus-wedding---october-2018/432750.html

https://uk.pinterest.com/ruththomas1979/here-comes-the-bride/

Bridezilla

Favours

I've finally made a decision on favours. I really wanted the tiny suitcase favour boxes to tie in with the travelling theme but I wasn't fussed on putting smarties or jelly beans or something inside and nothing else would fit

I then found these in home bargains (sorry, I didn't take a picture of them before I started twining, but they're basically just tiny mason jars with handles) They were 39p each and I've bought 10 bottles of ready made "woo woo" and "pina colada" cocktails to fill them with! Simple!

Until I started twining them to match the centrepieces/candle jars... so I'm not half way through twining 72 mini mason jars and 72 mini mason jar lids... I never take the easy route!

I've bought these stickers again to go on top of the jars but instead of "happy tears" they say thankyou for sharing our day.

Bridezilla

Confetti!

The confetti also arrived this morning from Dollz. It smells amazing! I was going to wait to put it in the individual little packets but had a spare morning so just thought I'd get on with it.

The colours don't really match our theme or anything, we just liked it and hoping the darker colours make more of an impact on the photos!

I managed to make 71 packets, miraculously there are 73 of us at the moment (obviously D and I don't need them so there is exactly the right amount!) but if we do have any extras, our parents can share or something.. theres plenty in each pack!

We'll be giving these out along with a buttonhole and order of the day (rather than order of service) to every guest on arrival. I really wanted to put them in brown kraft bags and give everyone a little bag but i may just put them in baskets and get the ushers to give them out instead- it might be easier, especially with the buttonholes.

New bride

Georgina, I can’t tell you how excited I am reading your thread. We too have booked the Oxwich Bay Hotel for our wedding next July. Your plans and all your hard work are soooo inspirational- if not terrifying me a bit about how much I need to do in the next 12 months! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences x

Bridezilla

Your favours are so cute. But I can imagine that it's quite a lot of work to make them. I discovered with the invites that I'm not the biggest fan of DIY. Lol. The thought of twining makes me exhausted.

Your confetti looks beautiful. We also didn't go with the colour theme. I wanted it to be colourful and bright in the pictures.

Bridezilla

Georgina74 wrote (see post):

Thankyou so much everyone!

When I first saw the dress hung up I'd forgotten all the sparkles dotted around and panicked that my belt wouldn't suit it... but as the belt has a bit of bling on it it was all fine, in fact it matches incredibly well!

It really doesn't sit well with me that the lace will be taken off, its my favourite part of the dress and for literally an inch or so I don't know whether it is worth it! WIll be seeing the seamstress on  Aug 7th, I'm sure she'll telll me whether it is necessary or not.

In regards to the necklace, youre right... I think it definitely needs something, I'm thinking of having my hair in a "half up, half down" with maybe a detaled plait keeping the front of my hair off my face but the rest being wavy as normal.. as this will mean no hair towards the front of my face, a necklace would definitely take away from the "nude-ness"

Dessert-Bride... thankyou for taking the time to give us such great advise! Youre completely right, we've spent the last few weeks debating between keeping our travel plans as normal and starting the house buying process on our return, or to try and combine the two. It is such a difficult decision and I've not been handling the stress too well.

D and I are on exact opposite shifts this week which has meant we haven't been able to discuss it as much, i thought this would lead to a conclusive answer but it hasn't really.

Our dream has always been to start our married life just the two of us on a massive adventure and with a lot of hard work/comprimises over the last 18months we've managed to save the money/ take the time off work- we have travelled before but the point of this trip wasn't just to spend time in new countries but to have a sense of being "free" together, to make choices on the road. whether we want to move on or stay in a certain place would have no affect on anybody except ourselves and that is what I feel we'd lose by going through with the house purchase, our plans would need to become tighter and therefore (although we'd still be away for 3+months) we wouldn't have that same freedom of time that we'd dreamt about.

BUT on the other hand, we will return in 6 months with nothing and be back living with my parents until we sort something out, possibly renting again which will certainly delay us buying a house. Living with my parents has actually been a lot easier than I anticpated, but I think we'll feel differently when were married, especially on our rerturn and our priorty will be getting a place of our own ASAP. We loved the house and the area is great, close enough to friends and family. It's affordable at the moment and we're lucky enough to be in a position to buy, if we let this opportunity pass, it is possible for our circumstances to change and we may not be in this position again.

We're really struggling to decide what to do for the best!

I can see why you’re struggling. It’s a tough decision. Like I have said, for me, experiences always trump money and things. I mean by nature - travel V house are two competing dreams. 

I think we have an obsession with owning property  The social consequences are plain to see. 

If as a couple you have had this dream of starting married life making decisions about travelling. Do it. See the world. Who knows where it might take you. 

If you want to go over it in more depth, happy to over a PM. 

(I typed way more but somehow deleted it before posting, what an idoit!)

Bridezilla

Hey just thought I would weigh in on the house vs travelling thing.

Part of me wishes that we could go travelling the world for a year. My dad did this when he was younger. And another part of me cannot wait to buy my own property.

Personally we have gone with the latter option. I'm 28 and due to health concerns want to start trying to have a baby before I am 30. But to do so I want to live in our own place. Not rent a flat in London, where we worry that we will be kicked out because our landlord decided to pay.

However I generally agree that experiences will always outweigh anything you could buy. So we will never stop travelling. Even with a house and kids. We will just do it slower. Go abroad with one big trip each year and then lots of weekend travel to Europe and around the UK.

I would say if you have no intention of having kids anytime soon, go travel. You might not be able to buy the exact same house when you get back. You might not be able to even  buy in the same location.  Or it might turn out that prices drop. You just cannot tell at this point. However you will be able to buy property somewhere if that is still what you want at that point.

Bridezilla

Decision Made...

I want to say a massive THANKYOU to everyone who have advise on our little predicament that we'd gotten ourselves in regarding travelling vs house.

It has taken a good couple of weeks, some sessions in the sunny garden, locking ourselves away and a fair few stress induced tantrums but we've come to a conclusion.

We're going to put the house on hold and continue with our original plan of travellng for 6 months and then start again once were home. We're so relieved we've finally made a decision, and feel like its the right one for us at the moment. Who knows what the future holds, so we're going to be a bit selfish and immature for a few months and then see what the situation is on our return!

On another note....

MY HEN PARTY IS THIS WEEKEND!

As in, 2 days time! I am so unbelievably unprepared for it! I've got an outift for the night out, but I don't love it and I need to get shoes/bags/accessories.

Were going down Friday lunchtime ish and apparently there is a full detailed itinerary from that moment onwards (but I haven't been entrusted with this info!)  I'm so excited to spend time with all of my favourite girls, it's a real mix bag of family and friends, both my nannas, and my FMIL are coming so I shall be on my best behaviour.....

Can't wait to tell you all about it!

Bridezilla

Yay! I can’t tell you how happy I am that you’ve decided to opt for the travel option. I’m excited to follow your travelling journey - have you said you have Instagram or anything like that earlier in the thread?? You’ll have an amazing time on your hen party. I’m just about in the land of the living after mine!

Bridezilla

Thankyou girlies! D and I have spent all our evenings this week going through research that we've done for the trip and I can't tell you how pleased I am that we've settled for this option! We probably won't use instagram too much whilst were away but I am hoping to write a journal/blog... any website reccomendations?

We're both very keen photographers and ventured into film a little bit on our last trip... we've since been teaching ourselves basic video editing skills and so may upload a couple of videos per week onto youtube....thats the plan, but I know how quick the time will go and we probably won't get round to it as much as we'd hope!

I have actually uploaded a couple of videos onto a youtube page called "honeymoon in a backpack" but I'm already a bit embarrassed about the name, so that'll likely change!

I am defintely going to write a journal though, it'll give mesomething to focus on during long travel days and I think I'll be happier with a bit of a purpose.

I'm all set for the hen now, I had a complete MELTDOWN last night as my outfit doesn't fit I know, I know.. first world problems, but it really upset me and I had nothing else to wear... my mum came to the rescue this morning and offered a belt... its sequinned on the front and ties round the back, essentially hiding the small gap where the zip doesn't meet. I still wasn't sure but my lovely BMs have reluctantly informed me that we all have sashes to wear and it'll definitely be covered! I have my shoes, bag and accessories to match so we'll make have to make it work!

(I know the belt is twisted here- we were trying to see what it looked like with the bow tucked in- not good in case you're wondering)

The only issue I can see is going to the loo... but I'll just need a buddy with me at all times 

I've had my nails done this morning too... I regularly have gel nails and have a lovely lady come to the house to do them... unfortunately I've had a few nail injurys the last few weeks so the lady said to cut them right back this time, I'll have one more go in 3 weeks and then it'll be my WEDDING NAILS! hopefully they'll be lengthy and strong by then!

So its a shame my hen nails aren't the best but its all prepwork for the big day!

Bridezilla

I think the dress works well and love the nails. 

Depends what you’re looking for with the blog situation, I’d say if you’re purpose is to update family and friends use Wordpress.com - it’s free and easy to use. If you’re looking to make some money from it, you’ll need a custom domain with a catchy name, a host and a Wordpress theme / site. Wordpress is a great platform! 

My background is marketing, I understand enough about blogs and websites to promote things well enough. If you need a hand let me know, no hidden charges / fees or anything like that. 

I also make little travel videos (actually quite a bit behind by 4 holidays!) but I enjoy the process! Be cool to swap YouTube stuff, my name sucks too but it’s for a personal thing rather than making any money!

Have the most amazing hen party and I’m sure we will read about it next week!