Wedding fashion

High street dress?

1 to 13 of 13 posts

New bride

Hi everyone

Has anyone bought their wedding dress from the high street and had it altered quite a bit? 

I've budgeted £800 but love this dress by needle&thread http://www.needleandthread.com/index.php/uk/all-bridalwear/dresses/silver-scallop-maxi-dress. I'll need to get it taken in (which I think will be quite a job due to bead work!) And I'd possibly like a bit of a train added to the tulle if that's possible. If not I'll explore a long veil.  

Just keen to hear your experiences! I should also add that the wedding is in a fairly 'grand' venue (low key church followed by reception in Jacobean manor house)

Does that mean I need a "proper" wedding dress?! Is there such a thing?!  I like the idea of being less traditional, I want the day to be relaxed (as much as that can ever happen) and fun! 

Argh! X

Bridezilla

I love that dress! One of my friends is a designer at Needle & Thread and I didn't even know they did bridal! 

I think in this day and age you just go ahead and wear whatever the hell you want, there are so many options to choose from so have something that makes you happy.

Bridezilla

I think that dress is lovely and would work fine for any style of wedding! I'm no seamstress but I can't see adding a train being that likely... it's much harder to add material than take it away. But I agree a dramatic veil would work!

Just about the Topshop wedding dresses mentioned above... has anyone looked at them yet, they are awful and like £350 each!

~*My planning thread*~

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/planning-thread--summer-in-the-cotswolds-2017/418589.html

Bridezilla

REALLY pretty dress! I don't think taking it in will be too difficult for a seamstress to do - it looks easier than most wedding dresses. I'd agree with Sammykate about adding a train. Only think I could think of is adding extra tulle at the waistband in a longer length - but you'd probably be better off with a long veil.

I'm an ASOS Bride, my dress is currently at the seamstress being altered (design not resizing). 100% happy with my choice.

Bridezilla

Sammykate wrote (see post):

I think that dress is lovely and would work fine for any style of wedding! I'm no seamstress but I can't see adding a train being that likely... it's much harder to add material than take it away. But I agree a dramatic veil would work!

Just about the Topshop wedding dresses mentioned above... has anyone looked at them yet, they are awful and like £350 each!

Yes- I find Topshop is far too 'try hard' these days

New bride

I think its lovely! Whatever suits you best and you feel comfortable in will be your wedding dress and there is no proper style or proper price tag. 

One of the happiest, prettiest and most relaxed brides I've seen got her dress in J-crew. Simple but perfect on her!

Bridezilla

I love the dress and agree with the above girls in that there is no such thing as a "proper" wedding dress. If you love it then go for it. Taking it in will be fine, but I'm also not convinced adding a train will be easy. My dress has quite a long train but I always envisioned it a bit longer. They couldn't add to it so I have bought a cathedral veil

Bridezilla

Aww i love the way you said proper dress, the proper dress is the one you love:).  

Agree with others, the train naybe tricky and add huge cost as sammykate said because of material added.  I would get a really long lovely veil to suit you and the dress, which i havent seen yet!  

The venue sounds fab u lous darling, im a historian and love this time period, i imagine it full of candle / low lighting and dark wood!  

Bridezilla

Just took a peak its gorgeous!

Have you looked at ted baker dresses?  Mine is an ian stuart but i have been looking for a prom dress to attend the school yr 11 prom, as one of their science teachers of course!:). There are some lovely gowns about. 

Bridezilla

Dorothy Perkins have just released a bridal range too. 

I think the dress you have posted is lovely, if you love it then go for it!

New bride

its a beautiful dress & will look gorgeous - I have bought my dress from Ted Baker - it's part of their bridal range & I love it! They have some lovely dresses in their range too x

New bride

Thank you all so so much! Yes you're right, the proper dress is the one I feel best in! 

Just amazed by the (slightly horrified) reaction of colleagues and friends when I say I'm going high street! 

Excited again now  xx