Wedding fashion

Can't pick a dress...help!

1 to 17 of 17 posts

New bride

Good evening all,

I'm not getting married until next June, but I have been dress shopping for a little while and been to five shops now. I haven't even firmed up my decision on the silhouette yet   Of all the dresses I have tried, I have really loved wearing two of them and they are so different!!

The first is an Essense of Australia off-shoulder fit and flare: https://www.essensedesigns.com/essense-of-australia/wedding-dresses/d1617/

I'm not yet as slim as I would like to be but this dress makes my figure look so much better tha I dreamed any dress could. It is, however, quite modern and not what I had quite imagined. My wedding is very traditional and classic and this dress, whilst beautiful, I'm not 100% sure reflects the style of the wedding. The train is amazing though, so detailed.

The second dress is a Stella York ball gown: https://www.essensedesigns.com/stella-york/wedding-dresses/6303/

This dress made me look and feel very bridal but I worry that it is maybe just a tiny bit predicatable and more sort of sweet and innocent, rather than wow. That said, when am I ever going to get another opportunity to wear a ballgown? The back of this dress is very pretty. 

Luckily I am tall so I suit both silhouettes, the larger shape doesn't look like it is wearing me rather than the other way round. I know that no one can make a decision for me: my sister favours the first dress, while my mum says she can't choose between them because they are so different! I would appreciate any advice or comments from anyone! 

Bridezilla

I love dress 1, in fact I have it on my Pinterest 😂 Can I be cheeky and ask how much it is?

Dress 2 is nice but very safe....just not as wow as dress 1.

My planning thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/town-centre-barn-wedding---august-2019/452338.html

Wedding addict

I am wearing a Stella York and I would still say no 1!

Bridezilla

I love the first one!

Bridezilla

It’s not so clear cut for me. I like them both. Number two may edge it for me as the neckline is pretty and it fits with a more traditional theme. That said, I’d probably give dress shopping a rest for a couple of months then try again as I suspect ‘the one’ is still out there. X

Bridezilla

I love number one too but I would go with what you love, go back and try both again, it might help you. 

I wouldn’t choose a dress based on the overall theme of the wedding providing its practical for the location because you want to have the one you love rather than worrying if it fits your theme or its predictable! 

I went 7 places over around 6 months before I chose my dress, I found mine in the last shop and knew it was the one. Before that last shop I had 2 others I loved and couldn’t decide between! 

Bridezilla

I prefer no 2

I'm a bit bias against the mermaid style in general tho - not the most flattering shape an i think they'll look much more dated than the classic a-line/ballgown shape 10 & 20 years down the line

Bridezilla

I think number one is the more predictable dress these days, I see a lot more brides wearing dresses like that than a full skirted one.

I tried a dress on a lot like the second and I really liked the shape of it, but like you I thought it was a bit demure and pretty.

I think you should keep looking, if you don’t want to be predictable, or girly girly pretty then I don’t think either of these are right.

New bride

Thank you all for taking the time to look at the dresses. Dress number one is £1499, number two is £1320. I have an appointment at another shop tomorrow to try yet more dresses! Hopefully I will find something that completely knocks my socks off, but if not I still have these two great options. I really appreciate all your comments, I have a lot to think about. It is such a big decision x

New bride

Number two!!!

❤️

Wedding addict

Ooo they're both so beautiful! I like the first one how they've worn the straps of the shoulder, but I love the neckline of the 2nd! I think number 1 might just be my favourite x

New bride

I prefer number 2 - its beautiful x

Bridezilla

Both lovely, but I actually prefer No2. love that neckline, How did you feel in both? Were you comfortable walking and sitting in the first one?

Bridezilla

I agree with MrsJ, if you're looking to be "not" predictable, keep looking. Both styles are lovely, but have been done to death.  There are thousands of dresses out there, there is no sense in settling for something that doesn't "wow" you!