Wedding fashion

£500 dress or £2400 dress?!!!

1 to 20 of 20 posts

Bridezilla

Hi guys, so I am facing a conundrum and need help. I ordered a £500 dress from phase eight and I do really like it but I had issues ordering it and the box arrived damaged! Wasn’t happy at all with customer service. But I do still like the dress. However, after trying on a beautiful dreas today in Lucy can’t dance I am SO torn!! The phase eight is lovely and elegant but I don’t feel wowed. 

The Lucy is definitely wow! I love the coloured skirt. And she makes them completely bespoke. BUT it is £2k more than the Phase 8 dress. And at the moment as the bolero doesn’t fit, it was rubbing under my arm. However she assures me this would be made to measure. She also dyes it herself and makes it bespoke.

What do you think?! Is it worth so much more?

Bridezilla

The second dress is stunning, but for the price it costs it should be! 

You make it sound like those dresses are your only options. If you're looking for an expensive gown which doesn’t cost a fortune, you could look to buy second hand or try sample sales? 

It’s always risky trying dresses on that aren’t in your price range, because now you're going to be comparing every other dress to that one. I personally wouldn’t spend that much on a dress, but there are some women who wouldnt consider anything that’s less. I think you need to consider your budget and if you are willing to compromise in other areas of the day to get the more expensive dress, then do it. 

Bridezilla

From these photos, they don't look different enough to justify the difference in cost. 

However, it's all about that age old balancing act of how the dress makes you feel versus the dreaded budget.

I love dip dyed dresses and I think they are really effective and unusual. Perhaps the beauty of the second dress just hasn't translated to the photo. Perhaps it is because the bolero doesn't fit well?

This was a dress I loved by a Canadian designer (Truvelle) which, I think, was about £1500. If ombré is what you're after, there are more designers going this route this year. You could keep looking.

Good luck. X

Bridezilla

Thanks guys, I know, lots to consider! It is true the bolero didn’t fit very well, here is what the dress is supposed to look like - it’s the pulp fiction dress with the labyrinth top - https://lucycantdance.com/blogs/news/our-sassy-grey-bridal-photoshoot

My Mum is paying for the dress but it is so much money, and I could get dress, shoes and jewellery for what that one costs. Thanks for the tip about checking out some other dip dye ones, I really do love them and want something different!

Wedding addict

Wow, I love the second one. Personally I think the second one suits you and fits you better!

But I wouldnt recommend buying a dress that you cannot afford. 

Or, maybe keep looking, you may find something that you love that the cost is somewehre in the middle? 

New bride

I love the second dress, but perhaps this is a sign you haven't found 'the dress'. Keep looking and set a buget with your mum, I'm sure you'll find it.

Bridezilla

I asked the manshape. He likes the bottom of dress two better but can't choose between the top part. Not sure that helps! X

Bridezilla

I like the 2nd one! If u can afford it go for it, if not then the 1st is also beautiful x

Bridezilla

Well I think you should send the first one back, you don’t sound happy with it, whether you buy the grey one or not.

Im not personally wowed by the second, it doesn’t look that drastically different from the first, and I actually think the beading in the first makes it look more expensive than the second.

why don’t you return the first and keep looking? The second dress is bespoke so will still be there if you decide you want it. As someone else said, these aren’t your only 2 options.

Bridezilla

They couldn’t be more different, I don’t think it’s very clear from the photos! The first one is an oyster colour with beading and the second is grey silk. 😏 The problem I face is that the grey one has a lead time of 6 months so I need to make a decision soon and I’ve tried on close to 20 dresses! Aghhhh it’s too hard! 

Bridezilla

Spacepuffin wrote (see post):

From these photos, they don't look different enough to justify the difference in cost. 

However, it's all about that age old balancing act of how the dress makes you feel versus the dreaded budget.

I love dip dyed dresses and I think they are really effective and unusual. Perhaps the beauty of the second dress just hasn't translated to the photo. Perhaps it is because the bolero doesn't fit well?

This was a dress I loved by a Canadian designer (Truvelle) which, I think, was about £1500. If ombré is what you're after, there are more designers going this route this year. You could keep looking.

Good luck. X

I can't find this dress anywhere, and only a similar one that is plain white?

Wedding addict

I'm with MrsJ, you don't sound happy with the first one. If it isn't up to scratch quality wise, but otherwise a dress you can see yourself getting married in, I'd return to a store and try to exchange it for a better quality fit. If you really aren't wowed I'd just take it back for a refund.

I'm not in love with that second dress. It actually looks like the bridesmaid dresses I've looked at and, to me, seems more wedding party than bridal. It's a nice dress, don't get me wrong, but for that money I'd just expect more.

Ultimately though it is your dress and if you can afford the second one, and love it, I'd buy it without a second thought. It's your day, your dress and no one on the internet can make the decision for you.

Bridezilla

Thanks everyone for the input, I think I have come to the conclusion that I am not impressed with the quality of the first dress and I don't feel special enough in it. As for the grey bespoke dress, I don't think I can face parting with £2400. However, there may be a third option. The designer also has this dress, which can be dyed any colour. So if she could do that in the grey instead of the yellow(!) it would be £1500. It is also one dress as opposed to a skirt and top so it would be more like the style I originally wanted. 

https://lucycantdance.com/products/ziggy-stardust

What do you think?

Bridezilla

Lol, sorry I still prefer the first one (but that's because it's more my style).

If you're not happy with the first then don't go for it.  The second one doesn't stand out to me ...

The third is different but not something I would choose BUT if you like it go for it.  

Personally though....I think that if you are so undecided then you need to keep looking - you haven't found your dress yet.

New bride

i prefer the third dress, but it's how you feel when you try it on. I think it's a lot of money for the dress but if you can afford it then go for it! Also might be worth looking at sample dresses? I got a 2k dress for £250 and I absolutely love it and it's so much better then anything I could have afforded brand new. Try the third one on and have a think about if you like it three times as much as the first to justify the cost. If the first one isn't the best quality send it back as you don't want to be worrying it's going to fall apart on the day! Whatever happens don't feel like you have to rush into a choice 

Bridezilla

I was considering the Ziggy dress! I ended up with something completely different to that, but I love that dress.

I would definitely return the Phase Eight regardless of what you end up doing, you obviously aren't happy with it. Return it and continue your search! Maybe go back to LCD and have a chat with her about customising etc (she's happy to do loads of different colours) and try on the dresses again and see how you feel?