Planning

Wedding flowers - don’t know what I’m doing!

1 to 12 of 12 posts

New bride

Hi everyone 👋🏻 

Long time lurker, first time thread here so please go easy on me. We get married this September and planning has been a doddle so far... only thing I’m really struggling with is the flowers!

Neither of us are fussed enough (nor have the budget) to spend many 100’s on a few bouquets and buttonholes but I’m starting to think my original plan to DIY from supermarkets/flower markets will just end up causing stress, since I really don’t know what I’m doing.

Please could you lovely ladies (and gents!) recommend any florists in/around London? Thinking max budget of £200 for 3 x bouquets and 4 x buttonholes. Is that even realistic? So many places are not upfront about their pricing. Also any experience of online sellers like the Great British Florist?

Including my inspo below in case it’s helpful.

Thanks!

Bridezilla

I’d also be keen to hear about great British florist- we’re thinking of using them and Facebook reviews are great, but it would be good to hear from anyone on here who have used them. 

Trying to keep the cost of flowers down, too! 

Bridezilla

Your budget should be doable but you may have to compromise on flower types, increase the greenery to reduce the number of stems and use seasonal flowers. I think your inspiration bouquet contains peonies which are expensive but outrageously so out of season (which, I think is June). 

Wedding addict

Have you considered ordering from marks and spencer?

Bridezilla

If say it's doable. I'm getting a bridal bouquet, a adults bridesmaid bouquet, 2 flower girl bouquets, 4 button holes and 2 corsagea for mother of bride/groom. That's all coming to £152 but I'm no where near London. X

New bride

It's do-able when using lots of foliage & seasonal flowers - there are some lovely stems in season during September which would look lovely. You are welcome to send me a message, I'm a Bride myself and have a small floristry business in N London. I'd be happy to give you some pointers! x 

Bridezilla

I did the 'contact us' form on Great British Florist website, and they never bothered to reply.  Kind of put me off.

Have you looked at silk or dried flowers?

Bridezilla

£200 wouldn't be do-able for the pics you posted, in those quantities, in London, unless you maybe had a friend doing them for you. Those are peonies and roses in that bouquet, which are both pricey.

Your best bet is to print out (in colour) your inspiration pics and take them along with any other colour or fabric swatches to a reputable local florist and give them your budget and let them see what they can do. A good florist can always recommend cheaper blooms (i.e rannuculous instead of peonies). 

But you better get going ASAP. September has become one of the most popular months to marry in and so a lot of florists are going to already be booked. And being honest, they aren't going to take your job over a wedding with a £2000 budget.  That's just business.

New bride

Thanks all! Some helpful tips for me to follow up on.

To be clear, I’m not actually fussy on which specific flowers and given budget will definitely not be looking for anything out of season - inspiration is just that, I’m a fan of big blooms but aware there are many others that aren’t peonies.

Sounds like whatever I go for though it’s going to be expensive... maybe I’ll just stick with DIY and stress 🤷🏻‍♀️

New bride

Hi, 

lots of good advice, but as a florist, if you go in with your inspiration pictures and are upfront about your budget, a good florist will cater to your style and budget accordingly. 

We are there to help and it's our job to take the design and create the best floral designs for you. 

There are lots of flowers to choose from to create something special for you. 

Remember your flowers are in front of your dress! 

Hope this helps! X

New bride

Em84726 wrote (see post):

Hi, 

lots of good advice, but as a florist, if you go in with your inspiration pictures and are upfront about your budget, a good florist will cater to your style and budget accordingly. 

We are there to help and it's our job to take the design and create the best floral designs for you. 

There are lots of flowers to choose from to create something special for you. 

Remember your flowers are in front of your dress! 

Hope this helps! X

Thank you ☺️ So helpful xx

New bride

GinAndBling wrote (see post):

I’d also be keen to hear about great British florist- we’re thinking of using them and Facebook reviews are great, but it would be good to hear from anyone on here who have used them. 

Trying to keep the cost of flowers down, too! 

GinAndBling - I dropped an email to their (I can now confirm) lovely client manager Alex who was more than happy to put together a quote based on my vision and budget!

I’d contact her directly rather than using their generic address, heard back pretty quickly. Just deciding now whether we go with them or a more local one we’ve found.