Planning

Vegan Weddings

21 to 25 of 25 posts

New bride

I'm also planning to have a fully vegan wedding! I don't spend any of my money on animal products during my everyday life so don't see why my wedding would be any different.

I haven't planned on telling people explicitly as both me and my partner are vegan so figure it should be fairly obvious that there won't be any animal products on offer.

Bridezilla

There are a lot of misconceptions about what vegan food is. A good quality vegan caterer can absolutely provide sufficient for anybody. (Google "vegan bodybuilders", there's a whole YouTube channel!)

I am not vegan but one of my favourite restaurants is a vegan restaurant. This particular restaurant has an option called "the spouse option" which is for vegans who are bringing their non-vegan friends/family. It is a completely vegan recipe but purports to taste almost exactly like beef. I took my OH there last year; he is military and is used to 4 square meals a day with a lot of meat protein. He's one of these that is always making people say "oh my goodness he eats a lot!" I didn't tell him the whole menu was vegan and just recommended he pick that one (the menu was in a language that he does not speak, so he had to trust me!) and he could not tell that it wasn't beef until told at the end of the evening. 

The point of this was that exciting things can be done with vegan food, and as other posters have said, the fact that the risotto/pasta/pizza etc was vegan would hardly be noticed until afterwards.

Plus, as Ali says, your guests know you and would therefore expect that you have a wedding to reflect who you are. If you believe it is wrong to eat animals, you cannot be expected to compromise your morals on this or any other day. I do not share your view, but if invited to your wedding I would not expect you to betray your beliefs to please me. In the same way that when I go to the wedding of my very religious friend next year I expect to see a religious service, if I went to the wedding of a vegan friend I would expect to see a vegan dinner.

Anyway, I'm sorry that I can't help with suggestions, but I expect that a vegan caterer will have lots of ideas! Otherwise, you could always look at the menus of vegan restaurants for inspiration?

Bridezilla

I would of thought your guests would be expecting vegan food to be honest, like you say you would be paying for something which goes against your beliefs. If i was your guest i would have a big breakfast before coming to be honest but not because i have any opinions on vegan food but because i am a very fussy eater and i don't like most vegetables ( i know that's terrible ) but i wouldn't moan and i will try whatever there was but I'm used to that at most weddings there are things i don't like!

New bride

Ali217 wrote (see post):

I'm also planning to have a fully vegan wedding! I don't spend any of my money on animal products during my everyday life so don't see why my wedding would be any different.

I haven't planned on telling people explicitly as both me and my partner are vegan so figure it should be fairly obvious that there won't be any animal products on offer.

Cool! Have you chosen a menu yet? Most people know I'm vegan and will suss it out anywa. I guess I just can't face telling people in case i get moaned at, because it will make me 😡 lol 

also people can all eat what they want and as much as they want at breakfast 😀

Im really excited for the day. I've got surprises booked and not telling them til the day 😁

Wedding addict

To the OP I wouldn't bother telling your guests. Most will be absolutely fantastic, curious to try something new. But there will be that 1% who expect you to pay for meat and dairy for them because they can't cope without flesh for one meal (perhaps they are vampires). I have held successful dinner parties, children's birthdays and various events with absolutely no complaints and a lot of compliments. Many said "I never thought I would like Vegan food."

I wouldn't turn up to a wedding expecting to be served vegan food even though I cannot eat meat or dairy or eggs. I would for all intents and purposes be selling my soul. I would keep quiet and eat lettuce and tomatoes or sip diet coke with good grace if that's all they had for me. In the case of it being a barbecue or hog roast I know the smell would make me feel ill so I would decline the invitation Would they know why? No way.

If you would attend the wedding of a Christian as an atheist and not expect to run around shouting "what a load of b***s**** Satan rocks" through the service then don't tell a Vegan they should spend their money to profit slaughter. Just politely decline the invitation and save them a lot of hassle.

THANK YOU

It's lovely to see there are so many people on here who are really open minded and like to try different foods and wouldn't expect a Vegan to compromise their beliefs. They are really keen to tuck in and see how they go. Absolutely heartening. Most of my guests have been like this but just a couple have been so nasty. I just wish they had politely declined rather than try and bully me into buying meat or letting them bring it. They couldn't respect my beliefs for one meal. But most meat-eaters are not like this and we thank you for being open minded.