Planning

Help me choose a photographer!

1 to 12 of 12 posts

Bridezilla

Aaah so torn between 2! I love the style of the second one more but I think we get more for our money with the first? I love that the first one includes a video. Something I never ever considered until she sent me a video of a couple she'd shot at our venue last year and it was amazing and I'd love to have one! If I could combine the two so the style of the second one with the video and all day coverage of the first I'd be rubbing my hands together but it's not an option obviously. Our budget is 1500 so they both come in under, but my fiance still begrudges paying this much.

http://www.unscriptedphotography.co.uk/weddings/

Claire has worked in our venue before and is generally a really lovely person from what I can tell through our emails. It's obvious that she does it because she loves it and not for money, and she really loves getting to know her couples. Here's what we'd go for:

Collection I

all day coverage

USB presentation box

slideshow of images

selection of 6×4 prints (my faves)

online gallery

phone app featuring your images

alternative wedding video

£1495

She's said she can come down on the price a little as well to make my fiancé more comfortable!

http://www.zoeemilie.co.uk/blog/

Zoe is also really friendly, and seems to really like the sound of our wedding. I love love love her style so much! And she fits in budget as well! The only downside is no video like with Claire. Update - I asked her if she'd be able to do any video work at all and she said she can't but she would offer us an engagement shoot included in the price to "sweeten the deal" in her own words!

Juniper

8  Hours Coverage

Minimum of 400 hand retouched photographs

Full Printing Rights

Client Consultation

Online Gallery to share with friends & family

Wooden USB Gift Box

Engagement shoot (not standard but she's offered it to us in lieu of a video!)

£1400

I don't know how to choose. What would you guys do? (And our budget doesn't allow us to hire zoe + a videographer)

Bridezilla

I think they’re all stunning photos and imagine whoever you go with they’ll do your day justice!  I really think that the decision is best left with you and your H2B though. Maybe one thing that might help, is to find out if any have photographed a wedding at your venue before. If they have, they’ll have the benefit of knowing what shots work well and where to get the best photos.  

There has been lots of discussion on this site recently about whether or not videographers are worth it, and lots of ladies have said that they don’t regret not having one. So if Zoe is your favourite, it might be worth considering if videography is something that you both definitely want or if you’d be willing to compromise on this. 

Bridezilla

I personally prefer Claire, especially for a summer wedding I'm less keen on very dark photos. 

But as Nottinghamshirebride suggests, I would discuss with your fiancé. Are both available as this could be a factor to consider? Also lots of photographers travel (often included in the price) so I wouldn’t rule someone out because they’re a little further 

Wedding addict

Oooooo difficult one! 

Personally I actually prefer Claire's style as I love the vintage look to them, but I also love how dramatic Zoe's are!

I agree with above that having shot at the venue before is a massive advantage though!

If you're really in love with Zoe's work, but are now swaying based on the video, could you not DIY your own video? I know it obviously won't be as good quality as a professional, but you could still get some decent footage with the technology available nowadays, and then you're at least getting a video to look back on, it won't effect the budget, and you'll be getting your preferred photographer? x

Bridezilla

I far prefer the style of Claire. It seems less staged (which is my personal preference). X

Bridezilla

LittleLottieJayne wrote (see post):

Oooooo difficult one! 

Personally I actually prefer Claire's style as I love the vintage look to them, but I also love how dramatic Zoe's are!

I agree with above that having shot at the venue before is a massive advantage though!

If you're really in love with Zoe's work, but are now swaying based on the video, could you not DIY your own video? I know it obviously won't be as good quality as a professional, but you could still get some decent footage with the technology available nowadays, and then you're at least getting a video to look back on, it won't effect the budget, and you'll be getting your preferred photographer? x

I never thought about that! My fiancés uncle videoed the whole day for SIL's wedding in October and put them on DVDs for everyone which was lovely but the video was half an hour long of raw uneditted footage that no one will ever watch lol but he'll undoubtedly do the same for our wedding (it's kind of his thing, filming and documenting everything) I could edit it myself! I've just found a programme on my chromebook that I could use. What a great idea thank you! 

Bridezilla

Another vote here for Claire - although to be honest both photographers look great and would do your day justice I reckon :)

Wedding addict

Awhelenqt wrote (see post):
LittleLottieJayne wrote (see post):

Oooooo difficult one! 

I never thought about that! My fiancés uncle videoed the whole day for SIL's wedding in October and put them on DVDs for everyone which was lovely but the video was half an hour long of raw uneditted footage that no one will ever watch lol but he'll undoubtedly do the same for our wedding (it's kind of his thing, filming and documenting everything) I could edit it myself! I've just found a programme on my chromebook that I could use. What a great idea thank you! 

Aaaaaah that's even better if you've already got someone ready and willing to do the filming haha! We haven't budgeted for videographer because I hadn't actually heard of them when we decided the budget, but I used to do youtube vlogs (Crrriiinnnngggeeee ) when I was younger so I'm pretty nifty with editing software so figured I'd just do the thing myself! I just need to find someone competent enough to do the filming! x

Bridezilla

Also to clarify - of course I'm deciding this with my fiancé I wouldn't make such a big decision based solely on the advice of strangers online, I just wanted some advice because my fiancé isn't a very visual person and can't really see a difference between the two, and since they're basically the same offerings for the same price he just wants to find out which one can offer the biggest discount