Honeymoons

Zika virus!

1 to 20 of 28 posts

Bridezilla

Everywhere we look at has a medium risk of the Zika virus (or worse)

We want to get cracking with the baby making as soon as the confetti has settled so don't really want to delay things by 6 months

Is anyone else in the same boat? What are you doing about it? 

Bridezilla

If you want to guarantee Zika free Europe is safe.

If you want to go long haul also consider Sri Lanka, South Africa, Madagascar, Seychelles, Mauritius or if you want to go even further afield look at Australia and/or New Zealand.

What sort of honeymoon were you thinking about? 

Bridezilla

MrsE2016 wrote (see post):

If you want to guarantee Zika free Europe is safe.

If you want to go long haul also consider Sri Lanka, South Africa, Madagascar, Seychelles, Mauritius or if you want to go even further afield look at Australia and/or New Zealand.

What sort of honeymoon were you thinking about? 

A hot tropical beach really! We did consider anymore active holiday but we want to enjoy some peace and quiet before we're hopefully blessed with a baby. 

Sri Lanka does look lovely, have you been?

Bridezilla

I haven't- it's somewhere we looked at but we ended up going to Mexico. 

Mauritius would be perfect if you're looking for a beautiful relaxing beach holiday - we nearly opted for there but we went away for New Years and couldn't justify the extra cash when we found a hotel we loved in Riviera Maya. 

I don't blame you wanting relaxation - it's definitely what you need post wedding!

Wedding addict

I had this exact same dilema, we ended up choosing Mauritius and were told by Thomson if this becomes at risk of Zika then we can change our location. 

Wedding addict

We're doing Mexico. Apparently you only need to wait a month after coming home before you can try? Thats my plan for next year :)

Bridezilla

The NHS guidance is to wait eight weeks after you've returned home if you're a woman and travelled on your own but if you and a partner travel together (like all of us will be on our honeymoon) then you have to wait six months. 

I'm not keen on waiting that long. Me and h2b are going to book some appointments with travel agents I think!

Wedding addict

Just a heads up when we booked with Thomson the lady in the shop said to us it's a 2 year wait. There's also studies that say it could stay in men longer they really have no idea so it's a question of whether it's worth the risk. In our case it wasn't which is why we chose somewhere that didn't have it. At the end of the day we decided it really didn't matter where we went but that we were spending time together

Bridezilla

Apparently it can be present in sperm for up to 6 months &  you are meant to use protection throughout. 

Bridezilla

Nikki-93 wrote (see post):

Just a heads up when we booked with Thomson the lady in the shop said to us it's a 2 year wait. There's also studies that say it could stay in men longer they really have no idea so it's a question of whether it's worth the risk. In our case it wasn't which is why we chose somewhere that didn't have it. At the end of the day we decided it really didn't matter where we went but that we were spending time together

Great way to look at it Nikki, I just want to spend two weeks with my husband and you're right, it doesn't really matter where we are. I have a friend who tells everyone her and her husband went on safari for their honeymoon when in actual fact they went to whipsnade Safari park! 

Wedding addict

Hey,

Do not go to a Zika country! We went to Bali in December and they had an outbreak 2 months before hand. So some facts for you:

Zika can stay in the woman for upto 8 weeks

Zika can stay in men for upto 6 months!

Should you fall pregnant, before, during or after visiting a Zika infected area your unborn baby is at high risk!

GP's will NOT do tests unless in absolutely serious cases.
If you come home and suspect you have a cold they will not test you. i called GP, Hospitals, health clinic, and tropical disease unit and no one would do it.

We had to wait 6 months to be sure and out in the clear. 

x

Bridezilla

Thanks Mrs D, I think me and the other half are going to stay away from Zika infected countries. I couldn't risk harming any unborn baby and we are desperate to start trying as soon as the weddings over as my fiance is a bit older than me and wants to have a baby before he's 42! 

Wedding addict

We went to Dubai as that's Zika free. Luckily we changed from Mexico as we were due to start trying straight away but I ended up being 2 weeks pregnant on our wedding day 

Bridezilla

Tula I like your style! I'm trying to convince h2b tk start trying before the wedding too...

Bridezilla

We had this problem. everywhere we wanted to go had the Zika virus. We have now booked Madagascar

x

New bride

It's hard that so many places have been off limits with the zika virus around but, other than the super hot spots, IMO you still have to live your life and see what you want while you can! If your doctor won't order it for you, you can always get a zika test online:  https://www.pushhealth.com/services/zika-test

Malaria and illnesses from food scare me more than the zika virus...

Bridezilla

The risk of contracting Zika is low. Relatively few cases have been reported in natives that live in these areas. I think this thread over-eggs that risk Although I do accept that avoidance is the only way to remain risk free.

The most recent statistic I’ve read is that a pregnant woman, infected with Zika, has a one in 100 chance of passing the virus to the baby.

Bridezilla

Tula does the hula wrote (see post):

Zombie thread 

Such a zombie thread! So zombie in fact I'm only 4 weeks away from my honeymoon- to a non-zika virus area might I add!

Bridezilla

Spacepuffin wrote (see post):

The risk of contracting Zika is low. Relatively few cases have been reported in natives that live in these areas. I think this thread over-eggs that risk Although I do accept that avoidance is the only way to remain risk free.

The most recent statistic I’ve read is that a pregnant woman, infected with Zika, has a one in 100 chance of passing the virus to the baby.

How does my thread over egg it? When I wrote this nine months ago the guidance was not to try for a baby for 6 months after visiting a Zika area. According to the NHS that's still true. A man travelling to a country with the Zika virus is advised to not get his partner pregnant for six months after he has left the country affected.  A pregnant woman infected with Zika may only have a one in 100 chance of passing the virus on but that's one in 100 times too many for me.