Hair & make-up

Skincare-help!

1 to 10 of 10 posts

New bride

Looking for advice from all you lovely ladies-we get married in Jan next year and I'm thinking I really should be doing something to prep my skin for the big day. Trouble is I'm really rubbish-have bad habits (don't always take make up off before bed, don't use moisturiser) and am pretty clueless on what products are good. Can anyone help? Looking for not too expensive products that work. I'm 45 and my skin is a bit dull looking and I often have dark circles. TIA x

Wedding addict

I've found products from The Ordinary really good... They're extremely reasonably priced but actually work and don't break out my skin. The acid treatments are really good, are quick and will give you a glow (unless you have really sensitive skin ofcourse). You can buy online in a few places. I've spent a lot on supposed miracle skincare over the years due to acne and pigmentation but they are the best I've tried and by far the cheapest. (No I don't work for them!) 

New bride

Thank you Julia101-sounds interesting-shall have a look at them x

Wedding addict

Julia101 wrote (see post):

I've found products from The Ordinary really good... They're extremely reasonably priced but actually work and don't break out my skin. The acid treatments are really good, are quick and will give you a glow (unless you have really sensitive skin ofcourse). You can buy online in a few places. I've spent a lot on supposed miracle skincare over the years due to acne and pigmentation but they are the best I've tried and by far the cheapest. (No I don't work for them!) 

Hi Julia, obviously us acne sufferers know that one product may not work for another... I can't even begin to comprehend how many I've tried but I do find calcium bentonite clay mixed with Apple Cider Vinegar a great natural alternative to acids as my skin is super sensitive. My acne is far from cured but it does stop cystic acne only leaving little white heads and pimples. 

Bridezilla

I've never had a good skincare regime, it consisted of a face wipe! However, like you I wanted to get my act together and make sure I've got picture perfect skin in time for the wedding.

I'm lucky in that I don't get spots, maybe the occasional one or two but not very often. I do however have very oily skin and pores on my tzone. I had a couple of facials and the lady told me that everyone, no matter their skin, should be using retinol and vitamin c, and a high factor sun cream on their face. I have since bought the entire back catalogue of the ordinary products and can honestly say I am OBSESSED. I alternate the use of retinol and vitamin c each night, and every morning I use salicylic acid (great for preventing blackheads and whiteheads) and hyaluronic acid (to keep skin moisturised and plump). My skin has honestly never looked better, and the stuff is a bargain!

Disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with the ordinary, however i would love to be on commission considering how many people I've converted! 

New bride

Another one for The Ordinary as love their products but another starting point would be to get a good cream based cleanser and start using glycolic acid products which really help to tone and brighten your skin. A great (and cheap) starting point is Superdrug’s stuff - their Naturally Radiant range is great and getting Vitamins E and C into your routine, along with a good SPF base will make a real difference! 

Bridezilla

ShitGotReal wrote (see post):

I've never had a good skincare regime, it consisted of a face wipe! However, like you I wanted to get my act together and make sure I've got picture perfect skin in time for the wedding.

I'm lucky in that I don't get spots, maybe the occasional one or two but not very often. I do however have very oily skin and pores on my tzone. I had a couple of facials and the lady told me that everyone, no matter their skin, should be using retinol and vitamin c, and a high factor sun cream on their face. I have since bought the entire back catalogue of the ordinary products and can honestly say I am OBSESSED. I alternate the use of retinol and vitamin c each night, and every morning I use salicylic acid (great for preventing blackheads and whiteheads) and hyaluronic acid (to keep skin moisturised and plump). My skin has honestly never looked better, and the stuff is a bargain!

Disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with the ordinary, however i would love to be on commission considering how many people I've converted! 

Hope im not jumping on this post but are you able to link the retinol and vitamin C and salicylic acid products you use? And which order do you use it all in? 

New bride

Libby13 -that's what I was wondering too! Looked at The Ordinary's range and like the look of the Buffet serum too. ShitGotReal-Is there something about retinol products that you have to be careful using them or have I justade that up? Ozzy2b shall also test out the Superdrug range you suggested-think I'm going to enjoy this!

Bridezilla

Libby13 - After i've washed my face morning and night i use the glycolic acid toner: https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-glycolic-acid-7pct-toning-solution-240ml?redir=1

In the morning i use:

https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-niacinamide-10pct-zinc-1pct-30ml?redir=1

and          https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-hyaluronic-acid-2pct-b5-30ml?redir=1

Then in the evening i'll alternate each night between Retinol & Vitamin C:

Retinol:https://deciem.com/product/rdn-retinol-1pct-in-squalane-30ml

Vitamin C: https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-100pct-l-ascorbic-acid-powder-20g?redir=1

Which i mix with: https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-resveratrol-3pct-ferulic-acid-3pct-30ml?redir=1 but for more spot prone skin you may want to mix with https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-salicylic-acid-2pct-solution-30ml?redir=1 

I also use the hyaluronic acid of an evening as moisturiser.

Mags11 - Retinol can be strong, it depends on your skin. My skin isn't sensitive so i went straight for the most potent, but you can build up tolerance by starting with a lower percentage. The vitamin c will also sting when you put it on but that will go away with continued use. You should also never use retinol of a morning as it does make your skin sensitive to sunlight. Even when using of a night you should still wear a high factor sunscreen during the day. Boots have just started scocking 'it cosmetics' which do a factor 50 cc cream which is amazing.

I would advise you to have a look through all the products on the ordinary website and decide what you think would work for you, i'm not a cosmetologist and what works great for me may not be suitable for everyone 

New bride

The Ordinarys website is really great at explaining all their different products, what they’re for, when to use them and even suggesting regimes based on what you’re targeting. I’ve only just ordered my first product from them but I’ve heard so many good things!