Hair & make-up

Brides doing or done their own make-up?

1 to 17 of 17 posts

New bride

Hello bride friends, 

I've been on the hunt for a make up artist but am having no luck. I'm indian so I have darker skin with pigmentation around my eyes and mouth and in the past I've been made to look quite ashy. I'm really picky with make-up so I'm considering doing my own on the big day. The only thing I'm nervous about is the eyeliner situation as I can be a bit shaky and uneven.

Just wondering if anyone else has done or is planning on doing their own make-up. What are you doing to make sure it's perfect on the day? And if you did do it how did it go? 

Xxx

Bridezilla

I'll be doing my own make up - a year ago I was hopeless but I've literally just practiced and practiced. Get in instagram and watch some tutorials so you get the technique down. Make sure you use a good primer and a setting spray to make sure it lasts all day!

Start doing trials ASAP and regularly. Sounds like overkill but that way you'll be able to do it in your sleep and you'll be able to get it done quicker on the day! 

One year ago 

Vs

Now 

New bride

Hi Bebe2

Don't give up just yet? Have you tried visiting a local wedding show / Fayre where you generally find many makeup artists to talk to.  Just because you a are darker skinned should not make any difference to a professional. I have had the pleasure of photographing many brides of all colour and race and the makeup artists have been brilliant.  

Give it one more worth while search before giving up.

Doing your own makeup! Of course this is also an option and something I also see many brides doing. The only advise I would give is allow twice the amount of time you would normally allow, just because it is your wedding day and you need to relax which may be hard with a house or room full of others. 

Wishing you all the happiness Bebe2

Here is a before makeup and after at a recent wedding  

www.johnpricephotography,co.uk

Wedding addict

I'm planning on doing my own make up! I couldn't justify paying someone the quotes I have found online with the risk that it wont look the way I'd like to or Having a style that's just not me. But also, I'm on a strict budget and rather spend the money elsewhere.   

there are loads on YouTube tutorials so I am watching the ones i like the look of and trialling them myself. 

Im getting much better with practice so hopefully by the big day I will have it perfect! 

Bridezilla

i did my own makeup as i thought this was an unnecessary expense. I bought lots of makeup in the leadup and kept practicing every week. On the leadup i tried to wear less makeup to get my skin in good shape and then i just took my time on the day. Good luck you will look gorgeous x

Wedding Report:

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/planning/71017-wedding-report--my-shabby-chic-wedding/448221.html

Wedding addict

I too am considering doing my own makeup. I am dark skinned and every makeup artist I seem to find makes everyone look exactly the same! 

I used to be a beauty therapist some time ago but I am abit out of touch now, I would suggest going to loads of makeup counters, get free samples and practice using step by step videos. Also have a look out for makeup classes or courses, I have seen a few pretty cheap on places like wowcher.

Wedding addict

I am planning on doing my own make up, but was going to book a session at MAC beforehand to have a bit of help and advice about making the style last all day.  

Bridezilla

I did my own for my prev wedding and would honestly not consider having someone else do it.  I wear makeup everyday and am a complete product junkie, so I know my skin better than anyone.  I love how my make-up looks when I do it.  It doesn't take me terribly long, not even for special occasions, and I can tweak the products I'm using based upon what my skin is doing at that exact moment, whether it's dry or oily, or has a bit of redness, etc.  I know exactly what breaks me out (anything with SPF) and what doesn't.  

If you're not a makeup girl on a regular basis, then you'd pretty much need to commit to making learning a hobby in your freetime.  I'm constantly watching YouTube videos for new ideas and reading beauty magazines.  I'm also constantly buying new products - so you'd need to be able to commit to the expense.  A lot of the products you'll end up buying and trying aren't going to be right and in the bin they go (or to my sister's, in my case!)  I spend way, way more on make-up in six months or a year than one or two sessions with a makeup artist would ever cost.

If you have the time and money to learn to do it yourself, I totally recommend going for it.  If you don't, leave it to a pro.  Your wedding is one day you don't want to look like a clown ;)

New bride

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I am totally a make up girl and love watching make up tutorials and think I'm finally at an age where I know what looks best on me. I think that's why I'm so fussy on picking a make up artist! I finally found one I like but she is charging nearly £300 just for make up and £85 each for bridesmaid makeup. I would think that would be the cost for hair and make up. I'm going to keep looking because I would love someone else to do it but at the same time will keep practising. I keep thinking how much make up I could buy with the amount I'm spending on one look!! 

New bride

I am doing my own makeup i think. I would rather spend the extra money on my dress or something. I never wear makeup, but when i do i like it to look quite natural. I hate the way most foundations look on me and will most probably just make sure my skins looking perfect and go bare minimum. My only worry is the photos...i dont want anything dramatic but i DO want to be able to see something on my pictures. Plus my OH hates it when i wear loads of makeup. I wouldnt want to see him at the alter looking caked in makeup that i would never normally wear! Xx

New bride

I debated about doing mine but I have decided to go with a artist as I'm worried I will get photo flash back or something if I do my own, it's a way to make the day extra special for me too, I posted on Facebook to ask for recommendations near me and found a lady with very good recommendations and reviews who is £90 including the trial so I think that's a very good price and I decided I would rather save the money elsewhere but it's all down to personal preference to what you value most. 

Wedding addict

As I'm getting married abroad I've decided to do my own makeup. I love doing my makeup anyway but the thought of having it done on the morning without a trial was making me nervous, hence deciding to do it myself 

My wedding isn't until next year but I'm already watching and saving lots of YouTube videos and practicing and trying products. I'd also recommend trying to get testers of foundations first. I brought the Estee Lauder double wear as so many people rave about it but I personally hate it on my own skin! I'm also going to book in with MAC who do a 1hr30min lesson for £50 where they do half of your face and you do the other side. You also get the £50 back to spend on products xx

Wedding addict

I'm planning on doing my own make up as I know what I like and I'd be worried that the make up artist wouldn't do it exactly how I like it, or make the makeup a bit too cakey for my liking. I've been applying make up for years though so have become pretty good at it. I would suggest you watch youtube videos, learn about your skin, research products that will work with your skin type, so if you have dry skin you want to go for more moisturising products, where as if your skin is more oily you want to go for more water based products. And just practice practice practice.

Bridezilla

I'm doing my own make-up. I'm a beauty therapist anyway but even if I wasn't I would definitely do my own.

For practice, go along to Boots/Debenhams and have at look at the makeup counters. They offer free makeovers/advice which is fantastic to get an idea of what shades of foundation to use. 

Invest in some decent makeup once you know what to go for. (Look out of 3 for 2 offers to save some ££) 

At home, in natural light play around with the colours you've chosen. Apply concealer to areas that need it (covering any blemishes/dark circles etc). Google images of make up that appeal to you, think about your dress, colour scheme etc. Little things that that can help wonders. With plenty of practise, you can do it. 

Hope that helps.. x

New bride

Hello lovely.

I am a makeup artist, I worked for Bobbi Brown for 4 years. I’d highly recommend booking in at your nearest counter for a ‘Bridal Makeup’ lesson. These literally teach you how to do your own makeup and exactly what products suit you. I promise you will not be dissapointed. 

Joanne xx 

New bride

Hi ladies,

I totally second what @Joannemakeup just said.

I went for a Bobbi Brown Bridal Makeup lesson a few weeks ago, and it was absolutely brilliant!

It definitely confirmed my choice of doing my own makeup on the day as I didn’t like absolutely everything she did on me, but also gave me tips I didn’t know about, especially with regards to pictures on the day.

I know my skin very well and have been crazy about makeup for years but still found the experience worth it, especially considering it’s completely free! 

Lots of makeup counters offer this service, don’t be shy to go and ask! 😊

Xx

New bride

Kerry153 wrote (see post):

I am doing my own makeup i think. I would rather spend the extra money on my dress or something. I never wear makeup, but when i do i like it to look quite natural. I hate the way most foundations look on me and will most probably just make sure my skins looking perfect and go bare minimum. My only worry is the photos...i dont want anything dramatic but i DO want to be able to see something on my pictures. Plus my OH hates it when i wear loads of makeup. I wouldnt want to see him at the alter looking caked in makeup that i would never normally wear! Xx

I am doing my own makeup too. Mostly because I love doing it and because I can save extra coin :) Everyday I look through tons of blogs, like this one - https://mystraightener.com/straighten-natural-hair/ and some youtube-channels, always looking for new ideas. That's a thing! You should really try it