General chat

Throw away account - Seen someone on here I know!

1 to 17 of 17 posts

New bride

So obviously this is a throw away account, I didn't want my real one attached to this.

Basically I was on here today as normal (planning my own wedding) and I realised I know one of the brides on here in RL, or more specifically, I know her H2B as I work with him but I have met her through work events briefly. Through the info on her planning thread which I was just reading as I do most peoples I know 100% that they are who I think they are.

Thing is I am invited to the evening do and now I know her dress, her planning, what's she's doing throughout the day etc, I have seen everything on her planning thread basically.

If this was you I was talking about, would you want to know? Should I keep my mouth shut or should I say something? Not sure what good would actually come from telling her but you never know! :S (I am obviously not going to read anymore of the planning thread btw!)

Bridezilla

I would keep quiet as well. Obviously we all take this risk when making these boards and uploading info and images but it's too late now to fix really. Just practise your surprise face for the wedding!

Bridezilla

I wouldn't say anything.  She probably is enjoying writing her planning thread and knowing someone she knows is reading might end that fun for her.

While I personally don't really care who knows my plans (or current lack thereof!), I do think being able to ask questions and vent anonymously is a huge benefit to this forum...and that goes away if someone you know recognizes you!

Wedding addict

It wouldn’t bother me tbh you aren’t that close and you’ll still enjoy the evening. I suppose everyone is different though so maybe best to keep quiet

Wedding addict

This is why I'm too paranoid to do a planning thread!

I would keep it quiet, she'll never find out otherwise.

Bridezilla

Currently sat trying to work out if any of H2B's work mates are getting married haha

Bridezilla

There's nothing to be gained by telling her. I'd definitely keep it to myself. X

Bridezilla

If it was me I would like to know. I don’t know any of my H2b work colleagues. A few have been invited to the evening though! All I would ask is please please please do not tell anyone else the details. 

Planning Thread: http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/shabby-chic-park---march-2018-wedding/430905.html

Bridezilla

are you all 12?!

Why not just pm her and say hello?

Bridezilla

This is why I ended up deleting my planning thread!

Wedding addict

Ali S 71 wrote (see post):

are you all 12?!

I'm also confused about the problem? Why don't people want to see people they know on here? Have you been badmouthing her or something?

Bridezilla

Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

are you all 12?!

I'm also confused about the problem? Why don't people want to see people they know on here? Have you been badmouthing her or something?

I do think being able to ask questions and vent anonymously is a huge benefit to this forum...and that goes away if someone you know recognizes you!

^ This. There's a big difference between anonymous chatter and what you might say to someone you know (who knows your OH, families, other guests etc). I can understand how a poster might feel disappointed if somebody attending their wedding knew all about their plans and had seen them rant about OH laziness or bridesmaid indifference or MIL nightmares. I'd feel uncomfortable for sure.

I'd rather not know and not feel the need to censor myself on here. It's not about whether anybody (or everybody) is 12, it's about avoiding the risk of making a bride feel awkward on her wedding day. I'm sure some people wouldn't be fazed but I think enough people have come forward to say that they'd be unhappy about it to justify keeping it quiet.

Bridezilla

are you all 12?!

Don't jump to negative conclusions. Have you shown everyone your dress and your flowers and your hair & makeup? Have you told them every detail of your planning? I doubt it very much. So you would be very disappointed if someone suddenly knew everything about your day before it even happened. Yes it's a risk brides take on here, but it's a fairly slim one really, so you wouldn't expect to have one of your guests known your entire wedding plans.

Maybe you are different and don't care what people know, but some of us like to keep things a secret and 9/10 we wouldn't expect to see anyone we know on here (I don't have a planning thread either). This is just an unfortunate situation.

https://dwdf.daisypath.com/Jgdi.png

New bride

Personally, I wouldn’t say anything. I agree that part of the appeal of a forum like this is people not knowing you and you can vent away x

Wedding addict

I wouldnt say anything either. I used this forum when planning and wrote a report after too, and I'd have been gutted if one of my guests had come forward to say they'd read my planning thread. This was my safe place to detail my plans and get ideas and feedback. There is a reason people remain as anonymous as possible on these forums and if I'd wanted to discuss it in detail with a guest, I would have done so. X

Wedding addict

Future-Mrs-A wrote (see post):

are you all 12?!

Don't jump to negative conclusions. Have you shown everyone your dress and your flowers and your hair & makeup? Have you told them every detail of your planning? I doubt it very much. So you would be very disappointed if someone suddenly knew everything about your day before it even happened. Yes it's a risk brides take on here, but it's a fairly slim one really, so you wouldn't expect to have one of your guests known your entire wedding plans.

Maybe you are different and don't care what people know, but some of us like to keep things a secret and 9/10 we wouldn't expect to see anyone we know on here (I don't have a planning thread either). This is just an unfortunate situation.

Ohhh OK I didn't mean to be so negative I literally didn't understand because I do talk about everything lol I'm just so excited I've been telling everyone who will listen all the details! Fair enough though